DECEMBEER 2023 - December 7 - JayBab's Black IPA

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
JayBab
Name: Jason Babineau

DECEMBEER 2023 - December 7 - JayBab's Black IPA

Post by JayBab » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:23 pm

'kay so, my 4th year participating, and my first straight-up brew, no funky experiment with wild and wacky flavors or ingredients. For that reason, I didn't really give it an original name, since it was just a plain'ish Black IPA. Other than wanting a Bitter Rye profile to it. First time I try a web-tool to calculate the IBU, and my off-the-chart results may suggest I have more to learn about calculating the IBUs. It is certainly a hoppy brew, so much that it surely impacts the SRM end result, which I have no idea how to grade, sorry. Fun Fact; both Siamesies have jumped/fallen into the Starsand bucket at one point in the past. Nothing to do with this brew, just thought I'd add a bit of gigglesnort to the post. ~Santé!~

Beer Name/Style ; JayBab's Black IPA

OG: 1.0605
FG: 1.023
IBU: 209 (meep!)
SRM: n/a
ABV: 4.92%

Batch size: 5 Gal
20 L Mash @ 60 mins
8.L Boil @ 75 mins

Grains (%)
11 lbs Maris Otter Pale. 78.5%
1 lbs Rolled Oats 7 %
0.5 lbs Flaked Barley. 3.5%
0.75 lbs Roasted Barley 5.5%
0.5 lbs Cara III 3.5%
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt 2 %
50g of Rice Crispy Hulls

Hops
1oz Citra @ 45 mins
1oz Mosaic @ 50 mins
1oz Cascade @ 55 mins
1oz Citra @ 60 mins
1oz Mosaic. @ 65 mins
1oz Cascade @ 70 mins

200g DME @ 65 mins
1 lbs Dextrose @ 70 mins

Water; Tap Water

Yeast ; Mangrove Jack's M36 - Liberty Bell Yeast

oie_6234014n3dlG9LP.jpg
oie_6234129HE34MxYP.jpg
oie_6234059jbBsBEC7.jpg
oie_623425iKt85e9T.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JayBab

Re: DECEMBEER 2023 - December 7 - JayBab's Black IPA

Post by JayBab » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:28 pm

Doh! I re-checked the IBU calculator thingy, I had my boil schedule reversed when I entered. So, revised IBU @ 114 IBUs, which makes far more sense.

edwards_josh
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Josh Edwards

Post by edwards_josh » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:27 pm

that was a nice beer after a long day! went down quick! I don't drink a lot of Black IPA... maybe I should :P

nuttle76
Name: Steve Long

Post by nuttle76 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:11 pm

I like it. Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:42 pm

Black IPA is a style I tell myself I don't like. Could be because many of the ones I had were when it was a bit of a "fad" beer and there were more bad ones being made than good because many of the ones I've had in the last while have been quite good.

This one is definitely tasty. The hops complement the bready malt and the sharp roast, and the flaked barley and oats give it a really smooth, but not quite slick, mouthfeel. I can't pick out a lot of particular hop notes, but in this style I don't expect to.

Regarding IBUs, the Grainfather App apparently has the highest regarded formula these days, mIBU. It takes into account a whole lot of things that previous formulas have not. Glen Tinseth was interviewed on a recent Experimental Brewing podcast episode about IBUs and mentioned he always used leaf hops and he knew that his results were only valid for his kettle. mIBU gets around a lot of that and adds a bunch of other stuff (chilling time, whirlpooling/hop stands, etc.) I'm a little frustrated that my software of choice, Brewfather, hasn't chosen to implement it.

Anyways, enjoyed the beer, thanks!

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:43 pm

I'm gonna be honest here....... this recipe is bonkers. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.I thought mabey your cats were walking on your keyboard as you were typing it. I was very skeptical upon opening the slightly underfilled bottle. After I popped the top and poured it into my glass I was pleasantly surprised. This is I no way, shape, or form a black IPA , but it is a very decent beer. Not sure what category it would fall under, but I enjoyed it. As Bob Ross would say.... " This is a happy mistake " Thanks for the share!
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

kenny10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ken McCulloch

Post by kenny10 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:50 pm

Unfortunately mine was oxidized. The bottle was under filled and guessing this was the culprit

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:11 pm

The head on this baby was unreal. Stayed around longer than an unwelcome houseguest... wait, that metaphor sounded negative... which is not the tone I intended... but I can't think of anything better.

Roastiness was perfect. Loved the malt balance and hops were great. Just a little too thin on the ABV for my tastes... though I really should learn to love some less boozier beers. The heart wants what it wants I guess...Image

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

JayBab

Post by JayBab » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:18 pm

Appologies to @Bradbrewsbeer & kenny10 for the underfilled bottles. I had issues with my bottling wand, tip coming off, and i eventually threw it in the garbage and used my back-up to finish. Wondering of all that unfortunate happening cause a foamy head on a few bottles, and thus misleading bottle fill? Either way, I should have caught that when I was grabbing bottles for the trade, and kept the sketchy underfills for myself. humble learner here, grateful for feedback to help improve.

Blake

Post by Blake » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:30 pm

I like this beer. Before finding out about it I thought it was swartzbier--ABV percentage tends toward that end. Dark, roastiness complemented by the malty sweetness and lingering bitter finish.
"You don't buy beer here -- you rent it"
Written wisdom in an English Pub water closet

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:19 pm

This went down too easy. Really enjoying it as I type! Seemed like possibly a bit more toward a less toasty dessert type sweet stout but that doesn't take away from the fact I'm kind of sad it is almost empty. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

marko
Name: Mark Landry

Post by marko » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:59 am

I couldn't drink this one, but the result from my friends:
super toasty and delicious, not very bitter at all.

Return to “Recipes”