DECEMBEER 2023 - Dec 5 - FML Tripel 9%

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

DECEMBEER 2023 - Dec 5 - FML Tripel 9%

Post by GCR » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:47 am

DECEMBEER 2023 - Dec 5 Tripel 9%

(First part is a repost of the FML story - recipe is a little different and posted below that)

FML is an acronym for Fresh Mystery Lupulin. Back in the spring of 2017, I bought six different varieties of rhizomes - a couple from Big Spruce and a couple from Bramble Hill Farm in NS - Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Magnum, Nugget and Willamette. I brought 4 varieties to my in-laws to plant near their garden in St. Louis-de-Kent, NB, and ⁷another 4 varieties to my Dad to plant in his garden in Oak Point, NB, telling him to make sure he knew which rhizome was which when he planted them.

Well, the hopyard in St. Louis did not take off at all, but the one in Miramichi did... but Dad had no idea which plant was which (it’s hard to get good help these days). They have since redone their backyard and told me to get rid of the hops, so I planted them around my yard in Dieppe, where they are now thriving... but I have absolutely no idea what has survived at this stage. But my good lord do they smell amazing.

I had brewed a couple half decent IPAs with them in the past, but I always found it challenging to get the same intense hop flavor from them that you get from pellets (despite using a ton of them). My process is usually to harvest and separate the cones, lay them out on a screen, and air dry them with a fan for a few days. Then I either use them right away or vacuum-seal them with a foodsaver, and stick ‘em in the freezer until I am ready to brew.

6300 g Pilsner Malt
Mash water 20.5 l
Sparge water 12.5 l

Mash schedule:
45 mins at 122 F
30 mins at 144 F
90 mins at 148 F

Mashed out at 170 F for 10 minutes.

90 minute boil
2 lbs homemade belgian candi syrup

34 g Centennial pellets @ 60 min
a large quantity of fresh, dried hops (didn't weigh, but probably 6-8 oz) blended in an immersion blender with some hot wort @30 mins

28 g Centennial pellets, along with another very large quantity of fresh, dried hops blended in an immersion blender with some hot wort @ flameout

Mangrove Jack's M31 Tripel yeast

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Re: DECEMBEER 2023 - Dec 5 - FML Tripel 9%

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:51 pm

This is one the best home brewed tripels I've had. Really enjoyed it after a not so hard day at work.My wife didn't appreciate me clearing the pictures off the wall while I was making my way down the hallway into the bedroom. Feeling single, seeing dubbel, drinking tripel. Great job
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

Blake

Post by Blake » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:09 pm

Well done. Fresh and surprisingly dry. On the nose and taste I got vanilla and a sweetness that was present and not at all cloying. Also pick up a ginger/allspice tone. Kind of hard to believe this was a triple.
"You don't buy beer here -- you rent it"
Written wisdom in an English Pub water closet

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:52 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this one last night. I also got some spiciness that I couldn't place, but I now assume is hop-derived based on the recipe. Super clean, quite dry, went down far too easily for 9% ABV.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:46 pm

Bradbrewsbeer wrote:This is one the best home brewed tripels I've had. Really enjoyed it after a not so hard day at work.My wife didn't appreciate me clearing the pictures off the wall while I was making my way down the hallway into the bedroom. Feeling single, seeing dubbel, drinking tripel. Great job
Thanks man! Really appreciate tbe feedback... them tripels sure do pack a punch.! Kinda sneak up on ya I find. Enjoying a beer after a not so hard day at work if just something that needs to be done now and then... if only to prove that we don't only drink to cope with stress. Right? RIGHT?!?!?

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:12 pm

Blake wrote:Well done. Fresh and surprisingly dry. On the nose and taste I got vanilla and a sweetness that was present and not at all cloying. Also pick up a ginger/allspice tone. Kind of hard to believe this was a triple.
Thanks! I find this yeast is vigorous af and reliably finishes quite dry relatively quickly (in the 1.004 to 1.005 range)... I haven't made a disappointing beer with it yet.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:26 pm

mumblecrunch wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed this one last night. I also got some spiciness that I couldn't place, but I now assume is hop-derived based on the recipe. Super clean, quite dry, went down far too easily for 9% ABV.
Thanks for the nice comments - I agree with the spiciness.. I wish I knew what hops ended up surviving in the end... but the mystery is also kinda fun. There's a lot of variables with homegrown hops in any case, I suppose (harvest time, drying, processing, etc). The yeast is really pretty terrific, though - no starter required, and she's raring to go right away.

kenny10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ken McCulloch

Post by kenny10 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:05 pm

Nice little gem here. All around great beer…nice yeast character with a honey flavor profile that I really liked. The dry finish kept this beer in check and stopped short of being boozy….this is definitely a gateway beer to bad decisions as it drinks easy for 9%

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:22 pm

kenny10 wrote:Nice little gem here. All around great beer…nice yeast character with a honey flavor profile that I really liked. The dry finish kept this beer in check and stopped short of being boozy….this is definitely a gateway beer to bad decisions as it drinks easy for 9%
Thanks! I am about to pop one open to see if I can find any honey notes as well. But first I'll check that I don't need to drive the kids anywhere (or operate any heavy machinery)

marko
Name: Mark Landry

Post by marko » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:53 am

This was so good, lots of spice and surprisingly crisp. Never had a tripel before but I guess I love them now.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:04 pm

marko wrote:This was so good, lots of spice and surprisingly crisp. Never had a tripel before but I guess I love them now.
Thanks! I am a big fan of the style too.. though you don't see a lot of them around here unfortunately...

Return to “Recipes”