Red IPA grain bill

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
AnarchistBrewing
Name: Chris Wakfer

Red IPA grain bill

Post by AnarchistBrewing » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:45 pm

I'm planning out a red IPA based on what I have laying around. An ounce of Chinook at full boil, ounce each of sabro and HS Zamba in a 20 minute whirlpoil. With voss kveik for the yeast

I'm more stuck on my grain bill. I'm thinking 10lb of Maris otter and 1lb of Crystal 80. I have a few other grains kicking around, but largely base malts like 2 row, rye and wheat or dark specialty like black pat or chocolate.

My main goal is to highlight the hops, but still with a decent malt background. Thoughts?
:headbang: Support a punk, give them a beer :headbang:

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Re: Red IPA grain bill

Post by Broob » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:07 am

Sounds good, maybe an ounce or two of the chocolate malt for colour.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Re: Red IPA grain bill

Post by mumblecrunch » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:13 pm

AnarchistBrewing wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:45 pm
I'm planning out a red IPA based on what I have laying around. An ounce of Chinook at full boil, ounce each of sabro and HS Zamba in a 20 minute whirlpoil. With voss kveik for the yeast

I'm more stuck on my grain bill. I'm thinking 10lb of Maris otter and 1lb of Crystal 80. I have a few other grains kicking around, but largely base malts like 2 row, rye and wheat or dark specialty like black pat or chocolate.

My main goal is to highlight the hops, but still with a decent malt background. Thoughts?
You've probably made this already, but for what it's worth I love putting rye into a red IPA. My go-to recipe is roughly 63% MO and/or Golden Promise, 24% rye, 5% crystal (although probably more in the 40ºL range than 80), and 2% pale chocolate. The rest is usually some melanoidin or dark munich and some acidulated malt for pH purposes. I've done it with a blend of rye and wheat as well to good effect. Just don't forget some rice hulls.

Return to “Recipes”