Decembeer 2022 - Dec 2 - Strong Beer

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Decembeer 2022 - Dec 2 - Strong Beer

Post by JamesM80 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:19 am

My process can be seen here: https://youtu.be/wmfIQwP11nQ

I just tried to clone a classic, but luckily failed. Here's the recipe:

Recipe 5 Gallon
60 min mash 65C
60 min boil

Fermentables
4.0kg Pale 2-Row
850g Flaked Corn
500g Flaked Rice
150g Crystal 60 (Maybe try less or C30 to match Colt 45 Color)
800g Dextrose (added at end of boil)

Hops:
28g Hallertau - 60 min

Yeast
4 Pkg Mangrove Jack's M84 Bohemian Lager
(Or use 1 pack in a big 2+ litre starter)

**My fermentation... ** Two packs of yeast at 12 deg for 6 days, then raise temp to 22 when the fermentation sticks. Add another pack of yeast at day 7. Then around day nine, lower back to lager temps. Then cold crash around the 2 week mark.

Other:
15 min - 1 tab of Irish Moss / Whirlfloc

OG: 1.071
FG: 1.009
ABV: 8.2%
Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Re: Decembeer 2022 - Dec 2 - Strong Beer

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:05 pm

I bought a colt 45 for my friend on his birthday a couple of yrs ago for a joke. We split it for old times sake, and it was hard to get through. This beer is near and dear to my heart,considering my allowance back in grade 10 would allow me 2 colt 45's and 2 slices of pizza. I even have a scar on my eyebrow from a colt 45 bottle ( that's another story ) thanks for bringing me back down memory lane. Onto the beer....... It has a nice orange hue too it ,I get some sweet malt Aroma on the nose, a little alcohol sweetness, not much bitterness or hop aroma and it could use just a little more carb I think. All in all , it's a hell of alot better than a colt 45. Good job James, nice video and thanks for sharing !
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

kenny10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ken McCulloch

Post by kenny10 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:22 pm

This has a nice malty aroma. Really like what the yeast brings to this beer. Super clean and smooth for 8.2 %. The shit ton of dextrose really dried it out keeping it highly drinkable. Good job!

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:37 pm

This was really tasty. Funny/entertaining video also. Loves me some strong beers... and this one did not disappoint. I scarfed it down while making a pizza from scratch, and I had a nice little buzz goin' by the end of 'er.

It was pretty darn smooth, and just a little boozy, but in the good way (a million times better than Colt 45). I'd like to try this same beer but with a ton of hops.Image

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

JayBab
Name: Jason Babineau

Post by JayBab » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:59 pm

I'm confused on "luckily failed"? this was great! the brew accompanied me while i put-up my xmas tree. Being a relatively newbie brewer, I am intrigued at all the yeast added mentioned. Is this a strong Ale specific technique, or can be applied to other brews to.... bring the ABV up? i'm only over-analyzing this now that i've checked-out the recipe, but 30 mins ago, it was alllllllll happy sippin' and thinkin' ; "Dang! dis good!"

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:29 pm

JayBab wrote:I'm confused on "luckily failed"? this was great! the brew accompanied me while i put-up my xmas tree. Being a relatively newbie brewer, I am intrigued at all the yeast added mentioned. Is this a strong Ale specific technique, or can be applied to other brews to.... bring the ABV up? i'm only over-analyzing this now that i've checked-out the recipe, but 30 mins ago, it was alllllllll happy sippin' and thinkin' ; "Dang! dis good!"
Usually lager yeast requires about double the yeast in order to not strain them or have a stuck fermentation. This one required 4x packs because of the high starting gravity. The sugars make the higher alcohol, but if the yeast can't ferment the sugar, it will end up with less alcohol and sweeter.

The luckily I failed refers to not successfully copying the taste and ending up with something a bit more drinkable.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:09 pm

enjoying this now, thanks for the share :cheers:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:39 pm

Nice color, a bit hazy but not murky. Decent carb. The yeast phenolics are evident and odd but certainly not offensive. Flavor is similar with slight acetaldehyde and fruitiness, (but more fruit salad blended than the heavy green Apple Original Colt 45). Good job in recovering and drying it out nicely. Slight booziness is evident but not burny. I found it overall a bit odd but still inviting to take another sip until it was gone, and agreeably more character than the original.

I’d be interested to see how the recipe goes with 34/70 or equal, a healthy fermentation and a few weeks of lagering.

Thanks for the share, the great video documentary and the boldness to go all in.

Cheers!
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:56 pm

This was genuinely really enjoyable. I cracked this and poured it out without looking at the recipe first, and I was a little confused when I got that macro/adjunct type aroma right away. Works really well in this beer. A lot cleaner than I would have guessed it to be, well done. Thanks for sharing
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:50 am

I was all ready to hate this beer after reading what it was modelled after, but I ended up really enjoying it. Pleasant maltiness and dry as heck. Hid the booze pretty well. Nicely done!

Return to “Recipes”