DECEMBEER 2022 - Dec 4th - Spicy Stout

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
JayBab
Name: Jason Babineau

DECEMBEER 2022 - Dec 4th - Spicy Stout

Post by JayBab » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:23 pm

I don't own a printer to make labels, but I have fun thinking of what that label might be.
oie_NNLkTiXiVWWq.png
anyhoo... "Cupcake du d'Jâbe" is Acadian slang for Devil's Cupcake. I researched and copied a Mexican clone stout, and derived my own recipe from there. Some or most of the adjunct flavors are there, but the beer is missing some of the body. This was to be my initial contribution to the calendar, but I deemed it a bit of a miss, and decided to try a Pale Ale (see Day 9 notes). There was a white film that formed at the top of the neck after 2 weeks, not very pleasing to the eye. It must have been Dex not diluting initially, 'cuz it did disappear after a month, and the beer does taste better a few months after bottling. I'm enjoying it.

4.5kg American Pale 2 Row
450g Roasted Barley
450g Chocolate
100g Black Patent
225g Dark Crystal 120
130g Flaked Oats
130g Rice Hulls

22 L Mash @ 60 mins
10 L Sparge @ , then 60 mins boil

1oz Chinook 30mins
1oz Chinook 45 mins
500ml Honey 50 mins
1oz Magnum 55 mins

the adjuncts
40g Cacao Nibs
10g Chile de Árbole. (dried)
1 cup coffee
2 Cinnamon sticks
less than a teaspoon liquid smoke
1oz Glen Moray Scotch Whiskey
150g Dextrose

OG start 1.052
I messed-up the final OG, I took a reading after adding Dex & Adjuncts, so that skewed any possibility of knowing true abv, but estimating 5.5%'ish.

oie_2823579JbsSexyT.jpg
oie_2819459maxtvV20.jpg
IMG-5077.jpg
oie_2901315grseRsJ.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marko
Name: Mark Landry

Re: DECEMBEER 2022 - Dec 4th - Spicy Stout

Post by marko » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:48 pm

Sipping on this now as a little dessert.
The spice level is PERFECT. Just like a chili chocolate bar.
The liquid smoke I think is a miss in here. When I get a hint of it , it really drowns out the other flavours.
The backbone stout is also really nice. Chocolate and coffee all the way.

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:16 pm

Half way through this one as I'm writing this. This is a tasty beer , nice head, light body for a stout but it doesn't take away from the beer. All of the usual suspects are present here including coffee roast an chocolate. I'm not loving the smoke ( which is subtle ) or the peppers tingling my throat.. That is to no fault of yours but 100% a personal thing. Great base recipe that I wouldnt mind using myself. Good on ya for entering 2 beers and giving everyone another great brew to enjoy this December. Thanks for the share !
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:38 pm

Pours nice, great carb With a thick tan head leaving a nice lacey pattern on the glass. Aromas are towards the roastiness of the stout with some hints of the other ingredients. First taste is surprisingly multifaceted with small bits of the flavor additions dancing but none dominating. Great harmony there. The heat creeps up quick but also peaks quick and doesn’t overwhelm. The smokiness becomes a bit more evident as it warms and I don’t feel it added much.

Well made brew and well done with the flavor medley! Thanks for sharing.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:36 am

Had this last night. Poured beautifully, deep ruby tint and a thick head. Didn't pick up on much of the adjunct flavour, just a licorice and coffee roast note. The spice was really nice, a slow creeping heat. As the beer warmed I got a lot more of the different flavours out of it, so my fridge might have been too cold. Really enjoyable beer, thanks for sharing
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:54 pm

Great base beer if a touch light. I’m getting some subtle spice but (thankfully) very little smoke. I think a touch more body and simplifying the adjuncts would make for a very killer stout. Well done, looking forward to your next beer.

kenny10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ken McCulloch

Post by kenny10 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:22 pm

The spice is on point. Tasty stout that is really smooth from start to finish. Nice beer!

Return to “Recipes”