DECEMBEER 2022 - Day 5 - Tropical brown ale

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

DECEMBEER 2022 - Day 5 - Tropical brown ale

Post by GCR » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:33 pm

Warning: probably best to keep an eye on this one just in case - while any visible fermentation activity had stopped after 11 days (it was brewed with kveik after all, albeit at a temp of around 22 degrees) I did not get the anticipated FG/attenuation, and I am worried there may still be some activity happening in the bottle... (bottled on November 23) I'm storing mine at around 19 degrees and will open one every couple of days to check on carb level leading up to the 5th.

6800 g pale malt
462 g C120
428 g C40
426 g cookie malt
350 g oat flakes
275 g wheat malt
242 g brown malt
240 g chocolate malt
135 g roast barley

23.5 l mash water
8 l sparge water

60 min mash @ 152 degrees
10 min mash out @ 158 degrees

60 min boil

2 oz chinook @ 60 min
1 oz magnum @ 20 min

Pitched a fresh liquid packet of Escarpment Labs Laerdal kveik (no starter), fermented for 11 days, bottled with 115 g dextrose for priming.

OG: 1.065
FG: 1.023

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Re: DECEMBEER 2022 - Day 5 - Tropical brown ale

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:42 pm

UPDATE: Ok it seems to have carbed up fine and is not a gusher at this stage for me after a couple recent bottles.

But it is definitely mislabeled as a brown ale ... it was supposed to be a stout but I was missing a little roast barley so it is lighter in colour than I anticipated.. but it is quitw roasty and not very tropical-y.

marko
Name: Mark Landry

Post by marko » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:48 pm

Nicely carbed, super dark fruit forward for me. Like caramel and dates. A good amount of bitterness in the finish that makes it more interesting. I don't know about tropical, but id call it fruit forward.
Glad I grabbed a second one when it was up for grabs, it didn't last long at all

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:35 pm

Tasty to me. Good, roasty and easy to drink with a good carb. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:07 am

Nicely carbed and continuously rouses well With clingy tan head. Aroma is a mix of dark malts and fruit like a fruitcake without the spice. Slight floral and dried fruit on the initial taste with the underlying caramel and light roast. Nice lingering bitterness is assertive but not overpowering. I think I’m getting a bit of dried orange peel perhaps from the kveik which is giving a mild chocolate orange/fruit filled chocolate thing. I enjoyed it until the last drop.

I bet this grain bill would make a killer Belgian dark strong.

Thanks for sharing!
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:32 am

Great brew, enjoyed it last night ! Everyone else hit all the highlights so I can't disagree. Thanks for the share
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:49 pm

Even if it’s not what you planned, this is delicious. Nicely done.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:34 pm

marko wrote:Nicely carbed, super dark fruit forward for me. Like caramel and dates. A good amount of bitterness in the finish that makes it more interesting. I don't know about tropical, but id call it fruit forward.
Glad I grabbed a second one when it was up for grabs, it didn't last long at all
Thanks for the feedback. I had read that laerdal was supposed to be super pineapple-y, so I expexted a little more of that - but still happy it turned out well. Probably would have had a much different result if I had used a heat belt!

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:35 pm

JamesM80 wrote:Tasty to me. Good, roasty and easy to drink with a good carb. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks James! I am happy it didn't overcarb... was a little scared because of my low attentuation...

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:37 pm

know1 wrote:Nicely carbed and continuously rouses well With clingy tan head. Aroma is a mix of dark malts and fruit like a fruitcake without the spice. Slight floral and dried fruit on the initial taste with the underlying caramel and light roast. Nice lingering bitterness is assertive but not overpowering. I think I’m getting a bit of dried orange peel perhaps from the kveik which is giving a mild chocolate orange/fruit filled chocolate thing. I enjoyed it until the last drop.

I bet this grain bill would make a killer Belgian dark strong.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the detailed feedback! It is like poetry (my kind of poetry anyway lol) I am going to crack one open in a bit and read your comments while I sip. Slainte!

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:40 pm

Bradbrewsbeer wrote:Great brew, enjoyed it last night ! Everyone else hit all the highlights so I can't disagree. Thanks for the share
Thanks Brad! You basically have to get in early to the comment thread to come up with "original" feedback lol. But I am glad you liked it.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:40 pm

darciandjenn wrote:Even if it’s not what you planned, this is delicious. Nicely done.
I call it a happy accident. ;)

Return to “Recipes”