December 25th, 2021 - I Can't Believe it's not Sessionable

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
JayBab
Name: Jason Babineau

December 25th, 2021 - I Can't Believe it's not Sessionable

Post by JayBab » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:00 pm

'kay so, I only found out about the Recipe thread like, ....an hour ago. after seeing the level of detail everyone is providing, I feel very small right about now. If I am not blacklisted after this year's exchange, I will make and keep notes for sharing better recipe details. After a few successful brews under my belt, i felt up to the challenge of the Advent exchange. i've since lost the grain breakdown, but wondering why the finished product is lacking a certain ....something. I was more into thinking "How could I make a Winter Warmer, more winter-warmerish", ...if that makes sense. So the idea came about making a Date Purée and pickling it in rum for a few weeks and adding just before bottling.

14.1 lbs of grain, prepared long before i started the brew day
5.25 top 5.5 Gal or close batch
60 min boil
1oz of Northern Brewers Hops with 5 mins left
Tincture;
Cinnamon, Allspice and Nutmeg about 1/3 each for 1oz total
8oz Dates boiled, passing through a coffee filter = 5.4oz "Date Juice"
150ml of Rum

After 1 week bottled, i decided to do quality test. Carbonation seemed right, nice pour, but the beer was unusually clear, and lacked at bit of body, and no hop caracter. This lead me to comparing it to a Grisette Winter Warmer fusion, even though the process has nothing to do with brewing a grisette. another week later, and the brew did mature to something sweet and enjoyable, but more so as a sweet drink. with alcohol. this lead to me adding "Sessionable" to the namesake.

Hoping for feedback and Humbleness. the cats below not much help. lil' Zissou more interested in taking selfies than watching the boil.

IMG-4164.jpeg
IMG-4166.jpg
IMG-4170.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Re: December 25th, 2021 - I Can't Believe it's not Sessionable

Post by mumblecrunch » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:32 pm

It’s definitely clear!! Carbed? Not so much. I do get some dark sugar thing going on, but I don’t know that I would have without being told about the dates. In terms of spices maybe a little cinnamon on the back end? I also don’t get any of the heat I’d expect from something in this ABV range.

It’s a drinkable and fairly enjoyable beverage. As it warms it tastes more beer-like. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:23 pm

I was going to leave a comment last night but couldn't describe what I was tasting. Mumblecrunch hit the nail on the head. Super clear , as for the carb, I think it kind of fit. Enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the share
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:35 pm

My Carb was actually really good. Swing top flew open! I have nothing to add to Mumble, I enjoyed it to the last drop. Thanks for the share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:48 pm

Wasn’t sure what to expect based on the label and the recipe didn’t really help me out lol. Anyway it’s definitely on the sweet side, which I guess is attributable to the dates? I get a touch of spice as well. Not sure how the grisette aspect was supposed to play here.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiment with us!

karlp028
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Karl

Post by karlp028 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:13 pm

Malty with a smooth bitterness, a bit of caramel/toffee and a little spice. Thanks!
On tap Czech Amber Lager, Tropical Punch NEIPA
Bottled Belgian Tripel, Belgian Dark Strong, Dunkelweizen, Raspberry Saison, Chocolate Porter
Fermenting Wild Thing Saison, Pseudo Lager
Next up ?

Return to “Recipes”