Day 24 - Decembeer 2021 - FML Tripel

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Day 24 - Decembeer 2021 - FML Tripel

Post by GCR » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:49 am

FML Tripel - Day 24

Here’s my recipe (and a little story for you):

First off, FML is an acronym for Fresh Mystery Lupulin. Back in the spring of 2017, I bought six different varieties of rhizomes - a couple from Big Spruce and a couple from Bramble Hill Farm in NS - Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Magnum, Nugget and Willamette. I brought 4 varieties to my in-laws to plant near their garden in St. Louis-de-Kent, NB, and another 4 varieties to my Dad to plant in his garden in Oak Point, NB, telling him to make sure he knew which rhizome was which when he planted them.

Well, the hopyard in St. Louis did not take off at all, but the one in Miramichi did... but Dad had no idea which plant was which (it’s hard to get good help these days). They have since redone their backyard and told me to get rid of the hops, so I planted them around my yard in Dieppe, where they are now thriving... but I have absolutely no idea what has survived at this stage. But my good lord do they smell amazing.

I had brewed a couple half decent IPAs with them in the past, but I always found it challenging to get the same intense hop flavor from them that you get from pellets (despite using a ton of them). My process is usually to harvest and separate the cones, lay them out on a screen, and air dry them with a fan for a few days. Then I vacuum-seal them with a foodsaver, and stick ‘em in the freezer until I am ready to brew. I honestly don’t know how they process them like the hop pellets you buy, but I haven’t quite nailed it yet.

My homebrewing friends in Ottawa and Calgary suggested I might have more luck if I tried chopping them up/running them through a food processor. I tried this for some of them (but after they are dried it is harder to manipulate them as they are so lightweight, so I had to add a tiny but of water to help for this process) and the resulting paste was very fragrant and promising. I also chopped up all the cones I used for the rest - my knife was yellow and sticky with lupulin.

So even with that the resulting beer has a pretty low hop character... one of my favourites is the Duvel tripel hop, but this ain’t anything like that at all... but I hope you enjoy it anyway. Between the friggin’ and jiggin’ with the fresh hops, and the longer step mash (and the last-minute addition of some homemade syrup), it was a real labour of love (but really, isn’t all homebrew?)

6300 g Pilsner Malt
Mash water 20.5 l
Sparge water 12.5 l

Mash schedule:
15 mins at 95 F step to
15 mins at 122 F
15 mins at 131 F
30 mins at 144 F
90 mins at 148 F

Mashed out at 170 F for 10 minutes.

90 minute boil
1 lb Belgian rock candy sugar
1 lb homemade syrup (I more or less followed this process here -- How to make Belgian Candi Sugar | An Engineer and His Carboy (wordpress.com) -- but didn’t let the mixture fully harden before I added it because I started doing this shortly after mashing in.

76 g processed hop paste @ 60 min
37 g processed hop paste @30 mins
58 g chopped, dried hops @30 mins
58 g chopped, dried hops  @ flameout

So, around 8 oz of hops in total. But my hops spider was pretty much full to overflowing by the end of it, even after chopping up the hops.
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Re: Day 24 - Decembeer 2021 - FML Tripel

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:02 pm

Hooray for terroir! Maybe not a ton of hop flavor, but nice bitterness with some herbal character showing through.

This poured fine, but didn’t keep its head or its carb at all. Would have liked it to stay spritzer. That said, plenty of good flavors going on. Pils malt character in all its glory and some nice Belgian yeast esters. Thanks for the share!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:31 pm

Great Xmas eve beer. I love Tripels and this one is great. I like what the pounded mystery hop paste brings to the mix. Mine is carbed to perfection and leaving some lacing around the glass as I quickly murder it. What yeast did you use?
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:59 pm

Bradbrewsbeer wrote:Great Xmas eve beer. I love Tripels and this one is great. I like what the pounded mystery hop paste brings to the mix. Mine is carbed to perfection and leaving some lacing around the glass as I quickly murder it. What yeast did you use?
Oops.. guess I forgot to mention that - Mangrove Jack's Belgian Tripel Yeast M31.

Glad you liked it!

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:06 pm

mumblecrunch wrote:Hooray for terroir! Maybe not a ton of hop flavor, but nice bitterness with some herbal character showing through.

This poured fine, but didn’t keep its head or its carb at all. Would have liked it to stay spritzer. That said, plenty of good flavors going on. Pils malt character in all its glory and some nice Belgian yeast esters. Thanks for the share!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you managed to find *some* hop character... they smelled so good I was surprised they did not have as much of an impact. Cheers!

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:48 pm

This was smooth and tasty as heck.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:08 pm

darciandjenn wrote:This was smooth and tasty as heck.
Thanks! Glad you liked it. I haven't been brewing as often lately, so happy it turned out ok :)

NovaJeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Walsh

Post by NovaJeff » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:09 pm

Loving this right now. Great Carbonation in mine and head is sticking around. Love the background story. Thanks for the share

karlp028
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Karl

Post by karlp028 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:04 pm

I enjoyed this one, but I can't really place the hop flavor, maybe floral/earthy? Carbonation was good.
On tap Czech Amber Lager, Tropical Punch NEIPA
Bottled Belgian Tripel, Belgian Dark Strong, Dunkelweizen, Raspberry Saison, Chocolate Porter
Fermenting Wild Thing Saison, Pseudo Lager
Next up ?

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:35 pm

Very tasty to me, thanks! The Belgian yeast seemed to shine. And went down smooth! Thanks!
Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:36 pm

NovaJeff wrote:Loving this right now. Great Carbonation in mine and head is sticking around. Love the background story. Thanks for the share
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it, and the (long-winded) story ;)

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:39 pm

karlp028 wrote:I enjoyed this one, but I can't really place the hop flavor, maybe floral/earthy? Carbonation was good.
Thanks... the hops are indeed a complete mystery... I figure Cascade and Centennial are supposed to be relatively hardy, so they might have been the ones that survived/thrived despite being moved around, but it is really just a guess at this stage :)

GCR
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GCR » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:43 pm

JamesM80 wrote:Very tasty to me, thanks! The Belgian yeast seemed to shine. And went down smooth! Thanks!
Thanks! This is the second beer I have made with that yeast, and they both turned out pretty well. The last one was considerably hoppier, but the yeast still shone through there too...

Return to “Recipes”