December 7, 2021

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

December 7, 2021

Post by danlatimer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:23 pm

Gone Grapefruit
December 7, 2021

This recipe was inspired by a good robot beer that I don't remember the name of. It was a nice low malt beer that enhanced the flavour of the juicy tropical hops.

My attempt turned out very grapefruity so I named it Gone Grapefruit

OG: 1.038
FG: 0.997
Alc %: 5.4%

Fermentables:
1kg German Pils 2-Row Malt
2kg Corn Sugar
(20% malt / 80% sugar)

Mash temp: 66.7c

Hops:
60 mins whrilpool @ 60c
180g Chinook
180g Azacca
2 days before kegging
60g Chinook
60g Azacca

Yeast:
1 - M66 (mangrove jacks hophead)

Water:
HRM North End water - no additions
Last edited by danlatimer on Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: December 9, 2021

Post by GAM » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Your 7 I'm 9.

S

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Re: December 9, 2021

Post by danlatimer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:41 pm

d'oh! Haha thanks, I'll have to fix my labels

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Re: December 7, 2021

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:15 am

I thought I was 7 ?
Screenshot_20211119-232457_Samsung Internet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:18 am

Crap , I see now. I'm the 5th. All good
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

Jamveino
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Veinot

Post by Jamveino » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:55 pm

20C8074B-A99D-4B9D-A794-310FAC6BC786.jpeg
I’m not really into super cloudy beers or grapefruit but always up for trying a new beer.

It sure has the grapefruit tang to it and the carb lasted right to the last sip.

Thanks for sharing, cheers! 🍻
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

karlp028
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Karl

Post by karlp028 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:40 pm

Very nice aroma and flavour of grapefuit. Not much carbonation in mine, but very good none the less. I like the Azacca + Chinook combo.
On tap Czech Amber Lager, Tropical Punch NEIPA
Bottled Belgian Tripel, Belgian Dark Strong, Dunkelweizen, Raspberry Saison, Chocolate Porter
Fermenting Wild Thing Saison, Pseudo Lager
Next up ?

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:22 pm

Great job with the keg carb and bottling - lots of carb!

It's soo hazy! It's surprisingly bitter for only flameout hops, it must be because it's so dry that the hops shine through. You're definitely right on the grapefruit too.

Solid beer, thanks for sharing!

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:31 pm

If white claw was ever going to release beer flavored seltzer , they should give you a call. It was tricking me while I was drinking it. I was expecting NEIPA but got a Super light body, nice Aroma , seltzer like beer with lots of carb and Haaaaaaazy. Thanks for sharing 👍

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:17 pm

Looked great, tasted better! Really like how the bitterness and flavour was bang on grapefruit. Cheers!
Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:17 pm

Makes sense that it's so hazy since I used neipa yeast and a lot of hops haha. Thanks for the comments!

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:58 pm

Very grapefruity! Surprising amount of bitterness but it’s going down smooth! Thanks for sharing!

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:58 pm

Hey Dan! It’s been a while brother!

I’ve never tasted anything like this beer. It’s almost seltzer btw! I tasted it without reading the recipe this time just to see if I could guess what it was and it definitely puzzled me.

There’s no bad flavors here, but there’s just nothing really that stands out either. It’s a great experiment and given what it is I think you pulled it off well and with some fixes this could be something very pleasant and unique. I would highly recommend some water additions, specifically lactic acid to get the PH in range as a priority if that’s something you care to fuck with (is there even a mash going with this one though?). You’re getting a slight astringency and I can promise you that’s common in light beers with no PH adjustments.

The problem with this type of thing is getting the mouthfeel and body where you’re lacking that coming from the malt. First of all very low carb so you’re both losing body and losing aroma, secondly again coming back to the very devoid tap water we have here. The last issue I think you’re having is that you aren’t getting great expression from the dry hopping. It’s hard to say what would work better but I would look into how you’re actually adding them, what temp, and for how long or play around with varieties. Again coming back to water additions and mash PH, so much happens in a beer from mash to kettle depending on that beginning PH it really dictates the expression (or lack there of) of everything you do down the line even in dry hopping.

I’m rambling so I’ll stop. Don’t let the critiques fool ya. I enjoyed every sip of it, really friggin cool idea.

Cheers buddy, I hope you’re well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:27 pm

Based on the recipe I wasn’t expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. Maybe a touch bitter for my tastes, but otherwise a thoroughly quaffable beverage. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:22 pm

Thanks all, yeah the bitterness is something I can't get over, it was very unexpected.

Yeah it's been too long Glen! I've done a few orders to my house of your stuff but I really need to get over to your brewery sometime! Thanks for the notes, interesting stuff. I never do PH adjustments but maybe I should start especially for lighter beers like you mentioned where there's not a lot to cover up unintended flavours.

For the mash, my mash volumes were adjusted to the amount of grain I was mashing so it /should/ more or less have had the right amount of water to grain hopefully producing a reasonable PH but yeah I'm going to pick up some testing gear because I'd be interested to know where my mashes usually sit. And yeah I agree for a late hop addition beer probably should have done some salt additions, oh well that's what version 2 of the recipe is for haha. I think I'll probably do a few iterations on this one, the base beer/seltzer is one variable but changing the hop varietals would have a huge effect on the flavour too so could be interesting to try some different things.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:39 pm

This was really cool. I would never have dreamt to try something like this. Smelled like what I would imagine white grapefruit seltzer or pop would smell like. Taste is very bitter... perhaps overwhelming the hops... but I expected it to be super thin but it wasn't somehow. Like I said, neat.Image

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

JayBab
Name: Jason Babineau

Post by JayBab » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:43 pm

catching-up on my Advent days. This is a great brunch brew. can't help thinking that i might wan to cure salmon with this, citrus 'n hops 'n hops 'n hops would work with a nice breakfast open face salmon 'n Brie on English Muffin? right?! anyway, this is perfect for Boxing Day brunch right now.
IMG_4384.jpeg

Return to “Recipes”