Feeling Nostalgic - Propeller Honey Wheat

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
JayColli
Name: Jay Colli

Feeling Nostalgic - Propeller Honey Wheat

Post by JayColli » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:59 pm

Hey Folks,

Planning my next mini BIAB and I’m looking to take a trip down memory lane. This one was a favourite during my 20’s and I was sad to see it go a few years back. Anyone ever attempted to clone it?

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Re: Feeling Nostalgic - Propeller Honey Wheat

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:49 am

Used to be one of my favourites back in the day as well.

Propeller used to publish a lot of helpful details on their website. A little sleuthing got me to this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120625061 ... _Wheat_Ale

Good luck!

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:24 pm

darciandjenn wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:49 am
Used to be one of my favourites back in the day as well.

Propeller used to publish a lot of helpful details on their website. A little sleuthing got me to this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120625061 ... _Wheat_Ale

Good luck!
Genius! I never thought to use the waybackmachine to look up those details. I'm honestly surprised there's no honey malt in the beer since any other time I've used honey in brewing it was virtually undetectable. I'll be back with a recipe in a bit for critique.

So many fond memories of this brew back when "craft beer" in Halifax was pretty much limited to Propeller or Garrison lol.

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:08 pm

8 Liter BIAB - Propeller Honey Wheat Clone

800g Superior Pale Malt (2.7-3.5 °L)
450g Wheat Malt (1.5-2.5 °L)

Bring 11L up to a strike temp of 70 °C
Mash at 67 °C for 60 mins.
Raise temp to 75 °C for mash-out
Sparge grains with 77 °C water until reaching pre-boil volume of 11.5L

60-minute boil
4g of Warrior Pellets (14.5 - 18% AA) @ 15 mins.
4g of Cascade pellets (4.5 - 8.9% AA) @ 10 mins.

300g Honey @ flame-out.

Ferment with Fermentis Safale US-05 yeast at 18 °C for two weeks and bottle.

Targets:
OG = 1.047
FG = 1.009
IBU = 15
SRM = 3.54°
ABV = 5%

The brewing calc I used (captainbrew) gave me an SRM of 2.1° but when I crunched the advertised ºL from Noble Grape's website through an SRM calculator I came up with a much higher number. I suppose I could drop it back down by substituting some of the Superior Pale Malt with a lighter 2-Row but the description for the pale malt noted honey characteristics, so I think I'll stick with it anyways. The brewing calc probably isn't giving me the right OG number either so I might adjust that a little as its going into the fermenter.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:29 pm

i wouldn't get bent up on the 2.2 L number, the base malts you are using aren't even that low. You'll do just fine with what you have there.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:28 pm

LiverDance wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:29 pm
i wouldn't get bent up on the 2.2 L number, the base malts you are using aren't even that low. You'll do just fine with what you have there.
Thanks for the input LD. My Nine Lock Blonde clone is looking a bit darker than the real deal too and I’d like to tweak the recipe eventually to get them as close as possible but taste first, colour later. I put in a call to Propeller today, hoping they might at least tell me what yeast they used, but I feel confident US-05 will be a good choice.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:58 pm

Propeller was always infamous for using ring wood yeast 1187 I believe. I’d say us05 would be a better choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:17 pm

LiverDance wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:58 pm
Propeller was always infamous for using ring wood yeast 1187 I believe. I’d say us05 would be a better choice
Interesting! Could explain why so many of their beers have underlying similarities in taste, which I had always chalked-up to water profile.

Return to “Recipes”