Uncle Leo's Red Ale Clone

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
buddha3004
Name: Nick

Uncle Leo's Red Ale Clone

Post by buddha3004 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:15 pm

Hey I am sure people have tried this beer. This is a miracle beer. I discovered this beer somewhere in the HRM and made a trip to the brewery last summer. My wife wasn't feeling great but after a few sips of this wonderful beer she felt better which allow us to continue drinking some more. Only problem someone had to drive. But got some beers for later and this is by far my favourite from Leo's.

Anyway, does anyone know where to start for this grain bill and hops? My wife has requested a side by side comparison after she gives birth (November). So I've got a few months to get the beer tasting similar.

If you could even pass on your favourite red recipe and I can start from there. I tried a red for my first AG and failed so don't wanna revisit that.

I see the smoked porter was someones favourite in this forum. I'll give it a go. I can't remember If I had one or not. Hard to remember all the great beers here in NS.

Thanks
On Tap:English Pale Ale(Cone hops for Bittering), Belgian Pale Ale, ESB
Fermenting: American Lager
Planned: Maris/Wheat Pale Ale
Bottled: Cream Ale, Belgian Dubbel, ESB, Pale Ale

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Uncle Leo's Red Ale Clone

Post by ConanTroutman » Wed May 27, 2020 1:24 pm

Most brewers around here are pretty open and happy to share if you ask. I wouldn't be surprised if you sent them an email or a message on social media that they got back to you with at least a few pointers. I don't know much about their Red recipe but I'm 99% sure it's one of their recipes that they use S-04 on.

I like to check the website and social media release posts when applicable for beers as it's increasingly more common now for breweries to list their hop choices and such when they promote beers now (or if you're Propeller you'll print it right on the can!). After that I usually check somewhere like untappd for ABV and IBU information and mostly build around that. Beyond that my recipe "philosophy" is to keep things as simple as possible when starting out. Makes it much easier to tweak things when you're working with fewer variables. If the beer is missing something you can always add it on future brews, or if something needs rebalancing it's much easier to do when your grain bill is three malts rather than when you have a dozen, and makes sure everything you're including has a purpose and isn't there because you had 3 types of roast malt that you couldn't make up your mind on. Most breweries have very simple grain bills.

I haven't had their Red and don't particularly like the style so take this example with a grain of salt :lol: but this is where I'd probably start if I had to brew it myself:

3.50kg 2-Row
0.50kg Melanoidin
0.35kg Crystal 75L
0.05kg Roasted Barley
28g Willamette @ 60
28g Willamette @ 5
SafAle S-04

5gal, 5% ABV, 22IBU, 1.051OG, 1.013FG

buddha3004

Post by buddha3004 » Wed May 27, 2020 2:30 pm

Yeah I thought i would ask here first. I had a feeling I would get an answer like you just mentioned. I will check social media on the platform.
After that I will shoot them a email
Yeah I tried their website and have noticed that some beers do have the complete recipe on with their website or a combination etc.

Thanks for the grain bill I will take a look around the web. I will also try get my hands on a few of the ales to get the taste and read up on malts that go into a red ale. I will follow the simple grain method too.

Thanks for the reply.

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Thu May 28, 2020 7:39 am

I have read the roasted barley gives red ales their, well, red colour. There are some malts out there that claim to give this style a red hue, but they don't.

karlp028
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Karl

Post by karlp028 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:08 am

I recently brewed a red ale with 43% Pale Ale, 43% Munich Light, 10.8% CaraRed and 3.2% CaraAroma.

Here's how it turned out.

On tap Czech Amber Lager, Tropical Punch NEIPA
Bottled Belgian Tripel, Belgian Dark Strong, Dunkelweizen, Raspberry Saison, Chocolate Porter
Fermenting Wild Thing Saison, Pseudo Lager
Next up ?

buddha3004

Post by buddha3004 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:09 am

Hmm looks good!
Got some test batches to do!