December 2019 Exchange - Dec 23 - Not as Intended Wheat Porter

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

December 2019 Exchange - Dec 23 - Not as Intended Wheat Porter

Post by mumblecrunch » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:42 am

This is effectively the same recipe as I made for the 2015 exchange, but with some minor intentional tweaks, some modifications by necessity, and at least one major mistake.

On the malt side it's Golden Promise in place of 6-row and the color comes from a mix of Midnight Wheat and Chocolate Malt in place of Carafa. Instead of toasting oats, I used Golden Naked Oats. Bravo was my bittering hop to the tune of 15 IBU, and I used 60g of Bramling Cross for flavor/aroma . For yeast, I went with WLP007 as I had a cake sitting there from my previous brew.

The overall goal was to make a somewhat drier version of the previous beer with a touch more hop character and then treat it with cold brew barrel-aged coffee. Without getting into a long story, I totally screwed up my volumes and what should have been in the 1.074 range for OG only got up to 1.062 or so. It did end up drying out to 1.011 for final gravity, so the ABV is in the 6.8% range. In the end between seeing another coffee porter in the list, not being sure about the state of the coffee I was going to use, and not being sure that there was enough body in this beer to stand up to a big coffee note, I nixed that addition.

In the end it's a pretty straightforward porter on the thinner/drier side with a bit of wheat character to it. How you feel about it is very likely to come down to whether you like your porter sweet or dry.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Re: December 2019 Exchange - Dec 23 - Not as Intended Wheat Porter

Post by amartin » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:41 pm

I had this last night. The carbonation was high, (I ended up pouring into two glasses), but I think it was just overcarbed, because it definitely didn’t taste infected. It had good clarity, medium dark brown, maybe a bit light for the style. It had chocolate notes and was an easy drinker. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:03 pm

This was my last call last night, drank while I planned our my next brew. T'was a great choice to relax after a busy holiday season - very nice balance of malts and a smooth finish... most quaffable. Thanks!Image

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:49 pm

Had this last night, it disappeared quickly! Well balanced, maybe a bit overcarbed but no biggy. I could go for more body & roastyness but that might just be me.

Solid beer, thanks for sharing!

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:49 pm

Drank this one this afternoon while brewing. Great beer to start the day, something you could have a could of easily. Tasty stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by jmacdonald » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:32 am

Well done. Not as dark as a porter but nice and wheaty with a roasty finish. Thanks!

Return to “Recipes”