Coffee Stout

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
maestro
Name: Nick

Coffee Stout

Post by maestro » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:40 am

Greetings all!

I haven't been on here in a while but I know I can rely on you guys for all my brewing needs!

Trying my hand at a nice coffee stout for this festive season but alas, I do not know what ratios to use for putting coffee into my secondary. I have read everything from 0.5oz per gallon to 1cup per gallon but never any mention of water:coffee ratios.

I don't want coffee forward beer but I don't want someone to search for the coffee taste either. I know cold brewing coffee for 12-24 hours is best to reduce acidity levels in the coffee and therefore reduce bitterness. But that's about the end of it.

Looking to do secondary in the next couple days. So any help I would love guys!

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: Coffee Stout

Post by LiverDance » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:06 am

I'd go the cold brew route and add it in increments until you find what tastes right to you. Should be fairly straight forward taking samples from the secondary :cheers:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:43 am

I cold brewed (24 hours in my french press) 1 cup good coffee (I used a blonde espresso) per 3 cups of quality water. you end up with 2 cups of finished coffee. I added the 2 cups of finished coffee at kegging. Added a noticeable coffee note, perfect for what I was going for.

you could cut that back to 1/4 cup coffee per 1 cup water if you wanted to back off the coffee
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:10 am

For my coffee stout, I fill a French press half full of beans, half full of water, 24 hours.

That may be too much, but in the Decembeer from 2017 I don't recall anybody thinking the coffee was overpowering.

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:29 am

look into dry beaning with the whole bean. Hub Brewer can chime in perhaps, but he did a split batch with one half with cold brewed coffee and the other half dry beaned...and from the samples I tried I would pick the dry bean version any day. There was very little acidity at all...and a nice coffee flavor.

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:24 pm

I've done both cold brew and dry-beaning and I have to say that I like the dry-beaning method better. The coffee flavour was richer to my tastes.

According to my recipe, I used 56 g of coarsely crushed dry beans in my 2017 advent stout ("Central Perk"), steeped for 24 hours - I believe that was the 5 gallon dosage.

Hub Brewer
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Pete

Post by Hub Brewer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:07 pm

mckay75 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:29 am
look into dry beaning with the whole bean. Hub Brewer can chime in perhaps, but he did a split batch with one half with cold brewed coffee and the other half dry beaned...and from the samples I tried I would pick the dry bean version any day. There was very little acidity at all...and a nice coffee flavor.
Yeah my dry-beaned stout used a dosing rate of 6.1 grams whole coffee beans per L of finished beer, so about 115g into a keg. I left it for 3 days at fridge temp (~4C). It had consensus as the winner between the two, but we wanted to make sure you didn't have to go looking for the coffee in that one. Might not be everyone's cup of tea (coffee?)

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:49 pm

I've done 3oz into a 5 gallon batch whole bean for 24-36hrs and it was maybe a little too much but worked quite well.

Return to “Recipes”