Ransack IPA Clone

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
DocksideBrewing
Name: Stew

Ransack IPA Clone

Post by DocksideBrewing » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:11 pm

I am trying to make a beer that emulates Ransack The Universe IPA by Collective Arts Brewing. I only have some basic information to get me started with that being:
ABV: 6.8
IBU: 85
Hops: Galaxy and Mosaic
Light malt body - which I would assume would be a light to medium temp mash

For malts I'm thinking: 2 row, Honey, and a light caramel/crystal ??

Yeast - ??

Anyone have any suggestions?

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Re: Ransack IPA Clone

Post by know1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:08 am

2-row, wheat and oats, toss the honey and crystal, maybe a couple % light crystal if you are shooting for a more orange color. Consider marris otter or a portion of munich if you want a little more malt character

Probably vermont or similar yeast although its listed as an american IPA its similar to NE style. London III is another good one.

go easy on boiling hops, shoot for around 25ibus max from bittering and get the rest from flameout/whirpool hops, and plenty of them along with a hefty dose of dry hops. Some go for the hops during active fermentation biotransformation mumbo jumbo on the NEIPA style, I.m not yet convinced. I like a good few oz at fermentation slow down then another dose about 4 days before packaging for the aromatic punch in the face.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

DocksideBrewing

Post by DocksideBrewing » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:11 am

know1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:08 am
2-row, wheat and oats, toss the honey and crystal, maybe a couple % light crystal if you are shooting for a more orange color. Consider marris otter or a portion of munich if you want a little more malt character

Probably vermont or similar yeast although its listed as an american IPA its similar to NE style. London III is another good one.

go easy on boiling hops, shoot for around 25ibus max from bittering and get the rest from flameout/whirpool hops, and plenty of them along with a hefty dose of dry hops. Some go for the hops during active fermentation biotransformation mumbo jumbo on the NEIPA style, I.m not yet convinced. I like a good few oz at fermentation slow down then another dose about 4 days before packaging for the aromatic punch in the face.
Thanks, I'll give that a try! I have a couple other batches to make first but I like the sounds of this. Appreciate the advice!

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:14 am

DocksideBrewing wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:11 am
know1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:08 am

Thanks, I'll give that a try! I have a couple other batches to make first but I like the sounds of this. Appreciate the advice!
He knows his stuff! Go with what he said.
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

DocksideBrewing

Post by DocksideBrewing » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 pm

I've never used a White Labs yeast, and I'm seeing that it says "best before date is 4 months after bottling". What exactly does that mean? Is it saying that the beer will be best drank within a 4 month period? Not that that is ever really a problem, but I just wasn't sure.

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Post by ackes » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:57 pm

DocksideBrewing wrote:I've never used a White Labs yeast, and I'm seeing that it says "best before date is 4 months after bottling". What exactly does that mean? Is it saying that the beer will be best drank within a 4 month period? Not that that is ever really a problem, but I just wasn't sure.
I’ll defer to others, who definitely know more about this than I.
But .... pretty sure the yeast vial is referring to the health or viability of the yeast. The older the vial the ‘less healthy’ all those little yeast cells are. So you won’t get as good a fermentation depending on your OG (especially if it’s > 1.050).
You usually have to make a yeast starter to get numbers back up. OR pitch more than 1 vial (I’m too cheap for that).
This is a great site for estimating cell counts and giving you starter info:
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

Hope that helps and hoping someone corrects me in case anything there is wrong or there’s a better way to explain.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

Awigg1
Name: Andy

Post by Awigg1 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:42 pm

Just curious how this turned out? looking to do something similar..

thanks

Return to “Recipes”