Grainfather recipe problem?

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
CGT
Name: Christopher Thomas

Grainfather recipe problem?

Post by CGT » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:25 am

Hey all,

I just brewed a Sierra Nevada clone on my Grainfather. Followed all instructions to a T, but my OG came out 3-4 points too high and my FG is about the same.
Any thoughts?
thanks

Chris

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Re: Grainfather recipe problem?

Post by mumblecrunch » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:17 pm

If you're saying your OG and your FG were both off by about the same amount the first thing I would look at is your hydrometer. Put it in distilled water at the calibrated temperature of the hydrometer (or just measure the temperature and use a correction factor). I'm betting you'll find out your hydrometer is off a little.

That said, even if your OG and/or your FG are really 3-4 points off, that is very very likely nowhere near perceptible to 99.9% of people. This is firmly in RDWHAH territory.

CGT
Name: Christopher Thomas

Re: Grainfather recipe problem?

Post by CGT » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:12 pm

Ah! Great thought! I use a Tilt hydrometer so I'll check when I remove it from the fermenter. I usually check the cal before I brew but forgot to this time. I have found in the past it can be off.
thanks again!

Return to “Recipes”