December 23, 2021

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

December 23, 2021

Post by JamesM80 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:32 am

The Great (Costco) Pumpkin Beer

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.012
IBU: 20
SRM: 15 (Maybe, guessing, Brewfather didn't account for the pie)
ABV: 6.2 (The pie added a bit of a kick...)

Grains:
Tuckers Maris Otter 4.5kg (90%)
Viking Munich Light 0.5kg (10%)

Hops:
Magnum 12% 15g (~0.75 g/l) (60 min)

Water:
RO Water Ca 92 Mg 16 Na 0 Cl 52 SO4 215

Pie:
Costco Pumpkin

Yeast:
US-05

Mashed 60 min at 65 C.

Fermented at around 18-20 deg garage temp.

Force Carbonated.

---------------------------------
And now for the failure: I canned the beer and basically had enough left to do the exact number for the exchange with three left over. However the last can I tried to do was basically filled with trub/yeast/pie and I expected that the three before it had some of that as well since they foamed a bit differently when I canned. I then promptly lost track of which ones were the potential trub bombs. I took the three lightest cans out of the exchange batch, however there is a chance you may be a lucky person with a can of trub. If that is the case, let me know and I'll happily drop off a replacement beer to you if you're in HRM. I have another pumpkin beer ready to test out in the next few days. I'll also throw bonus cans in of whatever I have on tap when you call me out on it (not that my beer is necessarily any good). Damn, I wrote too long. Cheers everyone!

If you care to see my horrible process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcibfiDxGNw
Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Re: December 23, 2021

Post by mdentremont » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:22 pm

Exciting! Is that your video? If so I've watched your videos in the past when I was looking to buy a grainfather and it helped me pull the trigger!

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:37 pm

Yep. Glad to see the videos are possibly helpful to some! I'm really just trying to make some semi entertaining brewing videos with the side effect of making myself a bit better brewer. Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

karlp028
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Karl

Post by karlp028 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:59 pm

This pumpkin pie in a glass is very good. Well done!
On tap Czech Amber Lager, Tropical Punch NEIPA
Bottled Belgian Tripel, Belgian Dark Strong, Dunkelweizen, Raspberry Saison, Chocolate Porter
Fermenting Wild Thing Saison, Pseudo Lager
Next up ?

JayBab
Name: Jason Babineau

Post by JayBab » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:19 pm

not usually a fan of p'kin brews, but this one totally works. the experience fully enhanced by watching how it was done while sippin' away. i roared with laughter at seeing half a p'kin pie dumped into the wort. is that how they make pastry stouts? still much to learn, i have.
IMG-4363.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:13 am

I don't believe pumpkin beers are an abomination, but I don't like many of them; this one I did very much enjoy. Not overly spiced, not weirdly flabby. And the video was absolutely entertaining, but how could you skip the packaging process? Do have a can seamer (and a stash of full-top can lids)? Would love to see a video about that.

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:39 am

I picked up the seamer after I made the video. There will be a video on the canner once I've used it a bit more. Glad the beer turned out ok and I'm still hoping that someone doesn't get the can of keg trub, I was down to the last of it at the end of packaging. Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:45 pm

I have to admit..... there are few things in this world that I hate more than pumpkin ! The only thing I can say is that It was nice and clear. On the other hand my wife enjoyed it very much. Big points for the can and label as well. Keep the videos coming, I need a good laugh once in a while.
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:00 pm

Yep all the way.

S
mumblecrunch wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:13 am
I don't believe pumpkin beers are an abomination, but I don't like many of them; this one I did very much enjoy. Not overly spiced, not weirdly flabby. And the video was absolutely entertaining, but how could you skip the packaging process? Do have a can seamer (and a stash of full-top can lids)? Would love to see a video about that.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:44 pm

I am tempted to lie and say I got the trubby beer (so I can score some other, likely sinilarly great free beer) but this was really nice. Not.a fan of pumpking beers usually (yet I keep trying them for some reason?) But this was honestly one of the best pumpkin beers I have had. It was subtle, but appropriately so.

I have a homebrewing buddy in Ottawa named Kevin that has a canning system wirh a couple other guys (check out https://instagram.com/famcobrewing), but I've never seen a top like that one - pretty cool.

Carb was perfect, no off-flavours at all, video was entertaining as heck, and I just love that you just threw the pie in there to see what would happen. As they say on the Miranichi (where I am from), Give'er.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:48 pm

Forgot the photo!Image

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

NovaJeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Walsh

Post by NovaJeff » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:11 pm

Mine was fantastic. Great subtle pumpkin taste, clear and clean and great carb.
Cheers.

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:28 pm

Tab broke off but we found a way in. Honestly, not a style I gravitate to but this is a well made beer. Good balance of spice and not too sweet.

Return to “Recipes”