hefeweizen

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
TheBucker
Verified User
Verified User
Name: TheBucker

hefeweizen

Post by TheBucker » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:55 pm

I was wondering if anyone has a good hefeweizen recipe that they are willing to share

:cheers2:
Sean
Kegged: Irish Dry Stout, NEIPA
Fermenting: Lutra 'Lager'
On deck: Grapefruit IPA

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Re: hefeweizen

Post by ConanTroutman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:46 pm

Definitely not a hefeweizen brewer, but I would say it's a style that will lean much heavier on your yeast strain and fermentation process than recipe design. Malt and hop character are both fairly low, ~50/50 Pils/Wh and a noble hop of your choice.

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:40 pm

50/50 pils & wheat, noble german hops for 20 ibu max. For mash, i sometimes do a ferulic acid test to push the clove character and then aim for around 149F sach rest. I use wlp300 with a nice healthy starter and try to keep it at around 16C to keep the banana esters in check and avoid going too much bubblegum. (I Know, mixing temp units :? ) Don’t rush it, make sure to let the yeast clean up the acetaldehyde. Oh yeah, and a 90 min boil to drive off DMS and heavy carb for a fluffy head.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:15 am

2 parts wheat, 1 part Pils, and 1 part Munich. 20-25 IBUs of Magnum at the start of the boil. Good healthy yeast starter, ferment warmish, i.e. 19 or 20 degrees. If possible do an open fermentation to drive esterification. As mentioned above, throwing in a ferulic acid rest in the mash can help drive the phenolic characters. Although I remember reading that the ferulic acid rest requires a different(higher?) pH than the typical saccharification rest to be effective. If you're up for it, a decoction will work well.

If you really want to go authentic, speising is a traditional technique that apparently make a difference. Never tried it myself, but I want to
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Return to “Recipes”