Hello from Beer Grains Supply Co.

Beer Grains Supply
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Jason Koebel

Hello from Beer Grains Supply Co.

Post by Beer Grains Supply » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:52 pm

I look forward to participating in your group and brewing discussions.

Thanks,
Jason Koebel
--
Beer Grains Supply Co.
http://www.beergrains.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beer Grains Supply Co.
http://beergrains.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: Hello from Beer Grains Supply Co.

Post by mr x » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:41 am

You should make it more clear where you are located.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

XmonikerX
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Dave

Post by XmonikerX » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:08 am

Deep River, Ontario from the web site.

homebrewcrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brandon

Post by homebrewcrew » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:11 am

welcome
JUST BREW IT

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:49 am

:welcome:
Deep River eh? Please try to wean my brother off of Coors Lite and educate his taste buds... :?
Do you ship White Labs yeast with a cold pack?
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:17 am

XmonikerX wrote:Deep River, Ontario from the web site.
Home! I grew up there - long time since I've been back though.

And, yeah, please try to straighten out Andy's brother...
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

Beer Grains Supply
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Beer Grains Supply » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:32 pm

lol. Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have a talk with your brother Andy.

Yes we ship White Labs yeast in a thermal package with a cold pack and ship via Canada Post (1-2 days guaranteed service). Now is a great time to give us a try if you have never ordered from us before. The entire store is 15% off until March 31; use discount code WL4DYB3ELAK2. I have a huge selection of yeast and hops in stock. Malt varieties are somewhat limited due to storage constraints at the store but we will be expanding this summer. The expansion will allow us to greatly increase our in stock products (malt, advanced brewing equipment, whole leaf hops, etc). If you have time please visit http://beergrains.polldaddy.com/s/beer-grains-feedback" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - I greatly appreciate any feedback you can give.

I just moved up here last fall from Waterloo. Before then I had never heard of the place, now it seems like everyone I talk to is either from Deep River or knows someone from Deep River. I'm determined to convert all the Coors Light and Bud drinkers one home and/or craft beer at a time.

Thanks,
Jason
--
Beer Grains Supply Co.
http://beergrains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beer Grains Supply Co.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:43 pm

erslar00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by erslar00 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:08 pm

Welcome...

I had to know a little about deep river.... very interesting.

History

Plans for the construction of this planned community began in 1944 by the federal government as part of the Manhattan Project, to accommodate employees of the nearby Chalk River Nuclear Research Laboratories. Along with Los Alamos, New Mexico and Oak Ridge, Tennessee, Chalk River was an offshoot of the nuclear effort for the allies and scientists, engineers, and tradesmen from around the world who came to work on the Manhattan project. After World War II, Canada continued on with research into the atom, and dedicated the country to the peaceful uses that could be derived from putting the atom to use. Deep River was situated far enough upwind and upriver of the Chalk River research reactors to avoid radioactive fallout.

John Bland, an architecture professor at McGill University, developed the town's first master plan in 1944. Bland located the town between the existing Highway 17 and the Ottawa River. He designed a system of streets which generally followed the contours of the area's topography. Residential neighborhoods stretched out from a commercial and service-sector core. Straight and broad avenues ran along contour lines, while narrower and winding streets lay at right angles, discouraging non-local traffic from entering neighborhoods. Parks and schools were scattered strategically throughout the town. The streets were named after local flora, Canadian politicians and famous scientists such as Rutherford and Darwin.[2]

At the same time, its economy and development was further boosted by the construction of the Des Joachim Hydroelectric Generating Station and dam on the Ottawa River at Rolphton, which opened on June 28, 1950.[3]

The town was the subject of a famous Maclean's Magazine article in 1958 by the noted Canadian journalist, editor, and author Peter C. Newman. Entitled, "Deep River: Almost the Perfect Place to Live,"[4] the article took a sardonic take on the town as a very odd and isolated place populated by mostly young, highly educated and bored scientists and technicians struggling to find things to do with their time: "The Utopian town where our atomic scientists live and play has no crime, no slums, no unemployment and few mothers-in-law."

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:43 pm

erslar00 wrote:The town was the subject of a famous Maclean's Magazine article in 1958 by the noted Canadian journalist, editor, and author Peter C. Newman. Entitled, "Deep River: Almost the Perfect Place to Live,"[4] the article took a sardonic take on the town as a very odd and isolated place populated by mostly young, highly educated and bored scientists and technicians struggling to find things to do with their time:
OK, I wasn't there until more than 10 years later, but "bored"? I doubt it. You never saw a town with a population of 5,000 people with so much to do. "Odd and Isolated" it would have been. There were, and probably still are, more PhDs per capita than you'll find anywhere else in the country, and likely in the the rest of the world. My father was one of the lesser educated adults there - and he taught nuclear physics :-)

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Oh, and:
erslar00 wrote:Deep River was situated far enough upwind and upriver of the Chalk River research reactors to avoid radioactive fallout.
LOL. Sure ... in a world where they taught "duck & cover" as an effective protection against atomic bombs! It's only 5 miles upwind. Of course, they then proceeded to build the power reactor on the other side of town, anyway.

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks for that, Larry. It was very interesting. I've never been there, but reading between the lines I interpretted the 'bored' aspect to mean that there weren't enough available women to keep all those young male scientists occupied in their off hours.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:09 pm

KMcK wrote:Thanks for that, Larry. It was very interesting. I've never been there, but reading between the lines I interpretted the 'bored' aspect to mean that there weren't enough available women to keep all those young male scientists occupied in their off hours.
Certainly not by the time I was there. Adultery was the major pastime of a large part of the population - when adultery was still considered pretty risqué.

Beer Grains Supply
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Beer Grains Supply » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:41 am

You're right, Deep River is a very interesting town. There are more scientists here than pretty well anywhere. There are still more clubs and activities than any small town in Ontario; tons to do here. We should add brewing club to that list. I've heard the key club was a major pastime years ago, thankfully not so much anymore (as far as I know). For those wondering, the key club is a lot like picking your prize from a hat except you pick a key and the owner of that key is your new partner; from what I've been told, definitely not personal experience.

I'm still new here and getting to know people but from what I can see so far I'm very happy to be here and the people are great.
Beer Grains Supply Co.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jeffsmith » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:47 am

Beer Grains Supply wrote:I've heard the key club was a major pastime years ago, thankfully not so much anymore (as far as I know). For those wondering, the key club is a lot like picking your prize from a hat except you pick a key and the owner of that key is your new partner; from what I've been told, definitely not personal experience.
It must be a small town thing—I've heard the same about here in Amherst, NS. Definitely not from personal experience either, but I've seen ads in the local newspaper on occasion and have heard a number of stories from locals. :eeew:

Beer Grains Supply
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Beer Grains Supply » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:03 pm

lol ew! That's pretty bold to post an ad in the newspaper. Ya must be a small town thing. I haven't seen an ad but every once in a while I look at someone and wonder if they were apart of, or a result of, the key club.
Beer Grains Supply Co.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jeffsmith » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Beer Grains Supply wrote:or a result of, the key club.
^^ :lol:

erslar00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by erslar00 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:48 pm

Beer Grains Supply wrote:You're right, Deep River is a very interesting town. There are more scientists here than pretty well anywhere. There are still more clubs and activities than any small town in Ontario; tons to do here. We should add brewing club to that list. I've heard the key club was a major pastime years ago, thankfully not so much anymore (as far as I know). For those wondering, the key club is a lot like picking your prize from a hat except you pick a key and the owner of that key is your new partner; from what I've been told, definitely not personal experience.

I'm still new here and getting to know people but from what I can see so far I'm very happy to be here and the people are great.

Jesus Murphy... a key club... wow. I know I've lived a sheltered life but DAMN!! Small Towns are definitely more interesting than I thought... I guess you'd be holding your breath eh... crossing your fingers... hoping you get the right key. :o

Beer Grains Supply
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Beer Grains Supply » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:59 pm

haha :lol: I guess. I imagine there's a rigorous selection process to get into the key club, tests, etc.
Beer Grains Supply Co.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jeffsmith » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:01 pm

Beer Grains Supply wrote:haha :lol: I guess. I imagine there's a rigorous selection process to get into the key club, tests, etc.
I think I'd rather not know any of those details either. Might be frightening. :lol:

Sabeerski
Name: Matthew Sabinski

Post by Sabeerski » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:22 pm

I have ordered some products from Beer Grains Supply and the order was processed and shipped very fast. Great transaction I have to say an great selection for us Canadians looking for domestic purchasing.

Thanks,
Mat

Beer Grains Supply
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Beer Grains Supply » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks Mat! Your compliments are greatly appreciated.

Cheers :cheers:
Jason
Beer Grains Supply Co.

wortly
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wortly » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 am

Sabeerski wrote:I have ordered some products from Beer Grains Supply and the order was processed and shipped very fast. Great transaction I have to say an great selection for us Canadians looking for domestic purchasing.

Thanks,
Mat
+1

Return to “Beer Grains Supply Co.”