Belgium

Travelling? Discuss the "must visit" beer locations during your trip!
Biertje?
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mark H.

Belgium

Post by Biertje? » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Say what you will, but I don't think I have ever tasted a beer as delicious as the Westvletteren 12. While in Belgium you have to go to the brewery (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) located in Vlieteren. It's a great atmosphere, and the beer is fantastic. Just as a heads up, they will only sell you up to 12 beers per person at a time, unless you take the tour, at which point I believe they will sell you a 2-4. But make sure you book in advance for the tour.

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Re: Belgium

Post by Buccaneer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:24 pm

Legend has it that it's the best beer in the world. I've also read that St Bernardus Abt 12 is the same recipe - they were contracted to make it at one point. I do know that Abt 12 is fantastic. We used to be able to get it at the NSLC for a while, but it's been gone for a long time now.

Sent from my Amaze 4G using Tapatalk

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Re: Belgium

Post by Jayme » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:59 am

I just got back from a trip there, but had a very different feeling on Westvletteren. I had all three at the cafe across the street from the abbey and while all are good, I do not think the 'best beer in the world' reputation is at all correct. Anyway, my two cents. Glad I made the trek into the countryside to try it, but next trip I won't be bothering to go back there. Been there, done that, would have bought the t-shirt if they had one!
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

Return to “Beer Abroad”