Portland Beer Spots & Hotel

Travelling? Discuss the "must visit" beer locations during your trip!
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Shane

Portland Beer Spots & Hotel

Post by canuck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:19 pm

Jdobbs and I are going to the DMB concert in Bangor in June, and also plan on driving down to Portland for a night to check out the beer scene down there. So, two questions for you folks........what are some recommended pubs to hit up while were there, and also does anyone have a recommended hotel that is within walking distance to the pubs? Preferably a place that doesn't cost $300 a night. :D

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: Portland Beer Spots & Hotel

Post by LiverDance » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:45 pm

These are the spots we hit up while there.

http://novareresbiercafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Infiniti ... 0614138309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by canuck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks Brian, both places look like must visits! Any recommendation on where to stay within walking distance?

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:11 pm

Chalmers is usually in charge of accommodations for our beer trips, i'm sure he can help you out.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jon S

Post by gm- » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:58 am

I've stayed at both the Hyatt that is really close (3 min walk or so) to the novare res and the Holiday inn at the Bay, that was maybe 10 min walk away, both were fine.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

chicanuck
Verified User
Verified User

Post by chicanuck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:42 pm

gm- wrote:I've stayed at both the Hyatt that is really close (3 min walk or so) to the novare res and the Holiday inn at the Bay, that was maybe 10 min walk away, both were fine.
I always try and stay at the Holiday Inn By The Bay when I am there, normally about $150 a night. I have stayed at The Westin (a little more $$) which is downtown and was forced to stay at La Quinta one night, it is very cheap and works if you only need a bed to sleep in, but it is sketchy. Before you start your night in downtown Portland, I would have lunch at Sabago Brewery in South Portland which is a 15min drive from downtown. Or if you are in the mood for some sushi, Yasaku is in walking distance to all those hotels and is my fav in Portland.

Also, if you are looking for a good walking cigar (or wine), stop into Old Port Wine on Commercial St. The big guy behind the counter is Pierre, he is a really good shit and will hook you up with some good smokes and/or vino: http://oldportwine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am also going down to the DMB show in Bangor with a bunch of people from Halifax, let's touch base closer to the date and have some Hogan Road Deli beers before the show. :headbang:

wortly
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wortly » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:48 pm

Was very pleased with the Hampton Inn downtown a couple of months ago. Usually stay at the Holiday Inn, but the Hampton is a lot better if you can get a comparable price.

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by canuck » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:32 am

We ended up booking La Quinta. A lot of the ones right downtown were booked solid, and those that weren't were over $300/night. Greg, we'll definitely touch base as the concert gets closer! Some hogan rd deli beers before the show sounds perfect! :cheers:

chicanuck
Verified User
Verified User

Post by chicanuck » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:35 am

canuck wrote:We ended up booking La Quinta. A lot of the ones right downtown were booked solid, and those that weren't were over $300/night. Greg, we'll definitely touch base as the concert gets closer! Some hogan rd deli beers before the show sounds perfect! :cheers:
La Quinta is still within walking distance, you are a 10 min walk to downtown. I would come down to Portland with you but the wives are coming down on this DMB trip and they have a shopping day planned on Saturday. If they choose Freeport for shopping, I will definitely be visiting the Maine Beer Company and could meet you for lunch perhaps (Freeport is ~30mins north of Portland).

jdobbs
Verified User
Verified User
Name: jason dobbelsteyn

Post by jdobbs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:01 pm

We do plan on hitting Maine Brewing Co tasting room and Rick from Hogan's may be coming along and if so is settng up a "special" tour for us at Allagash.

pet lion
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter

Post by pet lion » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:21 pm

I have some friends heading to Portland for a couple of days. What should I have them on the lookout for to bring back for me. I'm going to try to get some Oxbow muled back.
https://www.facebook.com/tidehousebrewingcompany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:43 pm

Yes to anything Oxbow. I might suggest you get in contact with the guy who runs Bier Cellar, Greg, and ask him to put 6 of his favourite bottles away for your friends to pick up. Or just look at the list below and put in a request. That way your friends aren't having to search around a ton, can just grab the pre-filled box of great beer.

http://biercellar.com/?page_id=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pet lion
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter

Post by pet lion » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:49 pm

Thanks for that tip, Chris!
https://www.facebook.com/tidehousebrewingcompany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:04 pm

No worries. Greg is great, his store is excellent. It does not have the selection of RSVP in Portland, but it is very well curated. The prices are the same or only slightly higher than RSVP. Service is what sets them apart.

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:05 pm

And he does have stuff not available at RSVP.

gm-
Verified User
Verified User

Post by gm- » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Heading down to Portland on Monday and staying there one night. What are the must see pubs?

mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Name: Michael Orr

Post by mikeorr » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:25 pm

Novare Res is an absolute must. Infinity is also only a block or two down the street from it, but Novare is where I'd spend all my time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gm-
Verified User
Verified User

Post by gm- » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:11 pm

Yup, had planned to spend some time there, but wanted to make sure there was nothing new and even better. My hotel is 1 minute walk from Novare :spilly:

dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Name: deano

Post by dean2k » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Tried to get to NR but stopped at Infinity on a rainy night and was okay not leaving my chair. Have fun!

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:27 am

Jon , oxbow has a tasting room there now. Chech that out :)

gm-
Verified User
Verified User

Post by gm- » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:34 am

Noticed that but the bastards are closed on Mondays, I guess NR it is, they have few oxbow on tap

gm-
Verified User
Verified User

Post by gm- » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Heading down there tomorrow, is the bier cellar still the best store in town? Hope to hit the oxbow tasting room and then the black birch in Kittery on Wednesday

Haroldcot
Name: Haroldcot

Portland Beer Spots Hotel

Post by Haroldcot » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:21 pm

Have you planned your food vendors for the day? Im trying to figure out who to hit up but dont know many of the places not in Portland.

Return to “Beer Abroad”