Brewer of the Year

Past, present, and upcoming competitions, as well as award winners!
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Brewer of the Year

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Has been updated with 2015 competitions:

http://www.breweroftheyear.com/competitions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mountain View Homebrew Open is in there. I didn't think it would be. Deadline Feb 23.
Okay, after a huge, ridiculous situation involving solving a major site disaster, Brewer of the Year is back online, and we’ve begun to get the competitions for the 2015 circuit posted. I know that there are a few competitions with deadlines coming up immediately, and I definitely apologize for the delay in getting the site live and updated. With any luck, we won’t experience this problem again. Sigh. That being said, if you’re a competitor, you can stay tuned for more competition listings to pop up as we receive information about them. If you’re a competition director, please contact us as soon as possible, so we can make sure everyone is aware of your competition.

Thanks for your patience, and I would like to wish all this season’s competitors the best of luck!

http://www.breweroftheyear.com/blog/bre ... ck-online/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Re: Brewer of the Year

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:27 am

"a brief talk with Canadian Homebrewer of the Year Chris Bourdages": https://soundcloud.com/brewtalkonline/c ... -bourdages" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ontario podcast with last year's brewer of the year.

I notice Jared Carlberg is competing this year. If he sends to more than a few comps he will win this year again hands down. Everything he touches turns to gold. I'd like to know how he does it.

Chris Bourdages accepted my FB friend request (found the talk on his page). Also been chatting with Geof (#3 last year) on FB. Does anyone know Jared?
-Mark

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:30 am

Yeah I've had multiple conversations with Jared. AFAIK he has a wife & kids, job, trains martial arts too, I don't know where he finds the time to brew so much. I'm not sure if he's taking another run at the title or just doing a few comps.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:36 pm

GuingesRock wrote:
I notice Jared Carlberg is competing this year. Everything he touches turns to gold. I'd like to know how he does it.
Here's the answer: http://winnipegbrewbombers.ca/about/art ... -the-year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks a lot for the link Brian.

He seems to do a lot of step mashing and decoctions..
-Mark

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:45 pm

The situation after 2 competitions ...Yeast Wranglers and Olds. With all the Brewnosers entering the Brewnoser competition, I think we will be higher on the list.
BOTY Clubs.png
BOTY Brewers.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:47 pm

I'd find this ranking valuable if it was done on a per capita/entry/etc. type of formula. Points for the sake of points is just carpet bombing IMHO.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:50 pm

No it isn't carpet bombing, but thanks any way. There is a limit to the number of entries for each competition, and people going for this submit the maximum amount of entries allowed, so it is an even playing field.
-Mark

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:14 pm

Your view of statistics is significantly different than mine.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:16 pm

How many people submit the maximum allowed, and do it for every competition? Any idea?

mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark McGraw

Post by mcgster » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:37 pm

I wish the norm were 6 or 8 entries per competitor.

I have to say at 10 entries per competition it definitely changes things for entrants. A lot of great brewers are not able to store that many beer just for comps or have the money to ship a 25 kilo box across the country. I could probably afford to ship 6 entries to each competition that was involved but it would be a stretch, not that i am in the running just my 2 cents. I would brew twice a week every week if i had the space to store the beer, sadly space has always been my constraint for brewing and money for shipping to these comps. I have been wondering what i will do for the ales open. Just ship my new beer that i want feedback on and not send the IPA / Bitter / Porter or send them all.

The IPA is a fresh batch and i upped the sulfate and changed my dry hop combo so who knows, it could do terrible lol

mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark McGraw

Post by mcgster » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:37 pm

That being said, i plan on sending everything to the BN comp because it is "our" competition, which is probably what the central guys do for all their comps.

dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Name: deano

Post by dean2k » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:52 pm

mcgster wrote:That being said, i plan on sending everything to the BN comp because it is "our" competition, which is probably what the central guys do for all their comps.
That's what I'm doing too. Not because I expect to win, but to represent.
Last edited by dean2k on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:56 pm

Yep let's own it
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:37 pm

Stats ...I sent 9 beers to Olds and 10 to Werthogs. That's 19 beers and they scored 19 points exactly, an average of one point (equivalent to a bronze) for each beer. I got 3 points for 10 beers in Yeast Wranglers, which isn't so good, and that's where I fell behind. I'm wondering now if there was a limit in that competition, same with Ales, it doesn't specify a limit so those two big competitions might be more of a carpet bombing situation.
-Mark

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:45 pm

How many people really have the time/money/space to submit that many beers to all of the comps? It's a bit of a shit show when it comes being able to compete. If I was rich, retired, and didn't drink my beer, I might have a chance of running for BOTY :lol:

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks for the support guys.
-Mark

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:59 pm

GuingesRock wrote:Thanks for the support guys.
:) I say go for it! We're all in this hobby to different degrees, and to get different satisfaction out of it, so I say keep on keeping on! :rockin:

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:01 pm

That's right Chris. Go get them Mark. Fill out all 15 spots for our comp. They have a whole new level of competition in the maritimes
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:07 pm

I often wish I had the time and logistics to give these guys a run in the circuit. It's not gonna happen unless I ditch other things like jiu jitsu which I'm not willing to do.

However our comp coming up has lit a fire under my ass to give these guys hell. I plan on entering as much as I can handle here and hopefully that means I'll have some extra bottles to sent to ALES and ABC. I think those two are also important competitions. ABC is a qualifier for the Masters Championship of Amatuer Brewing http://www.masterhomebrewer.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - you need a gold medal in a qualifier to enter and the MCAB comp is even harder.

Anyway Mark I know you're working hard entering these competitions. Keep kicking ass and putting us on the map, I know it isn't easy. Fortunately you have the means to compete AND good beer to back it up.

I need to put work into a sort of project to fund BN comp entries and shipping. Just so many things to do and not enough hours in the day.

-Rob
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:09 pm

Also, MOST of these comps are out west at these guys' home turf. Most of the time they find someone to mule entries to the competitions (ie: free shipping). Here in the east we really aren't on the same playing field.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:20 pm

GuingesRock wrote:Thanks for the support guys.
Is that meant to be sarcastic? If so, I'm not sure how anyone is being unsupportive..I'm pretty sure there's a lot of support behind those who enter comps on here. I've often said I'd like to see money from the group buys go toward helping with comp shipping fees.

With that being said, I don't put much weight in the BOTY circuit, as it really comes down to people who can afford to ship the beer. There is a ton of awesome beer being brewed out there by guys (and girls) who just can't afford to ship 10 entries to every comp. It's cool to see rankings, and the brewers/website owners efforts are awesome, but it's difficult to really call it an even competition.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:32 pm

All I was saying, and this is really to the credit of our own people, is that if the objective of club rankings is simply points, then I don't agree with that. I don't feel that overall points is an accurate representation of quality per entry, unless you have a hard limit of entries per club per competition (of which most clubs would meet the minimum number of entries to make results valid), or a way to scale results to achieve the same goal.

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:34 pm

Jimmy wrote:How many people really have the time/money/space to submit that many beers to all of the comps? It's a bit of a shit show when it comes being able to compete. If I was rich, retired, and didn't drink my beer, I might have a chance of running for BOTY :lol:
I agree. I don't brew to compete (some people really do, and it that's what rocks their boats, that's great), so I'll enter something when I think it's worth competing with... but then, it's something I don't really want to part with, either!
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:37 pm

X, I think you're correct, we'd be #1 if we ranked per entrants. :D

Over time though I think the circuit will heat up here (east) and eventually the playing field will be more even.

I'm pretty sure the top guys out there see the guys competing here and see this too.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:41 pm

RubberToe wrote:X, I think you're correct, we'd be #1 if we ranked per entrants. :D
I'm not sure Jared is beatable.
-Mark

Return to “Competitions & Awards”