4th Annual Atlantic Homebrew Challenge

Past, present, and upcoming competitions, as well as award winners!
GahanBrewer
Name: Ryan

4th Annual Atlantic Homebrew Challenge

Post by GahanBrewer » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:28 pm

Hey all!

We're so excited to be running this again after a year's hiatus! I'll leave the Official Website to explain most of the details, but we're accepting submissions for two styles: 5D German Pils and 7B Altbier. The top prize includes $500 cash and the chance to brew your recipe on a big scale at your local Gahan House (so if you're in the Halifax region you'll be brewing with me!), including a can release as well as draught. Check out last year's winner: Hazy McHazeface by Trevor McLean, available now! There's also prizes for top 5 in each style, so plenty of opportunity for everybody.

Submissions can be dropped off at any Gahan location by March 3rd with judging taking place on March 18th and the winner will be announced on the 20th. For a complete description, check out the website linked above. Good luck and happy brewing!

chalmers
Name: Chris

Re: 4th Annual Atlantic Homebrew Challenge

Post by chalmers » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:01 pm

Hey Ryan, Thanks for posting this up! Looking forward to this one!

edwards_josh
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Josh Edwards

Post by edwards_josh » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:39 pm

Is there a shop somewhere in HRM that would have a commercial example of an Altbier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:33 pm

Tanner Brewing has one, but not an nslc listing. Pick up in Chester.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BBrianBoogie » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:39 pm

The Uncle Leo's one is quite delightful, and should be available locally.

edwards_josh
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Josh Edwards

Post by edwards_josh » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:52 am

thanks for the tip - looks like NSLC has Uncle Leo's Altbier in the Oktoberfest mix pack

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:13 pm

edwards_josh wrote:thanks for the tip - looks like NSLC has Uncle Leo's Altbier in the Oktoberfest mix pack
Bishop’s Cellar also has Tanner’s Alt in stock. I don’t think I’ve specifically had that one, but my general experience with Tanner beers is that they’re very good. At the very least it could be an opportunity to compare a couple of different ones.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:20 pm

One thing reg the Tanner one is that it's a "sticker" Alt and their recipe in particular has really high % of crystal compared to a normal one

Bjmacbrew
Name: Bernie MacPherson

Post by Bjmacbrew » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:27 pm

Update

Deadline extended

Bernie,

We are! We have extended the deadline to the end of the weekend with this weather.

Drop off anytime!

Thanks,

Billy MacDonald
General Manager
Gahan Nova Centre
5239 Sackville Street
Halifax NS B3J 2C2
902-213-4124 (cell)
902-444-3060 (restaurant)

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:17 pm

Nice, I can drop it off on my way to the Cottage Party then instead of running in tomorrow during the cleanup.

Cheers!
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:49 am

Damnit I missed registering online, hopefully they let me submit a form today or tmr.

On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:53 pm

I missed registering for my altbier, but I texted the number above to see if it was possible to still submit. Here's the format of the information they are looking for if you're manually submitting from my pils submission(I still haven't confirmed you can)

Name / Address / Phone Number

Beer Name *
Beer Recipe *
Ingredient Suppliers *

Which Gahan House location are you dropping off your beer? *
The Gahan House (Charlottetown)
Gahan House Port City (Saint John)
Gahan House Riverside (Fredericton)
Gahan House Hub City (Moncton)
Gahan House Nova Centre (Halifax)
Gahan House Harbourview (St. John's)

Hope that helps and I'll update if I get a response with the registration answer.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by wcturnedec » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:06 pm

Thanks James. I did call today and the Brewer at Gahan Halifax said I couldn’t submit if I missed signing up using their online form.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by wcturnedec » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:35 am

JamesM80 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:53 pm
I missed registering for my altbier, but I texted the number above to see if it was possible to still submit. Here's the format of the information they are looking for if you're manually submitting from my pils submission(I still haven't confirmed you can)

Name / Address / Phone Number

Beer Name *
Beer Recipe *
Ingredient Suppliers *

Which Gahan House location are you dropping off your beer? *
The Gahan House (Charlottetown)
Gahan House Port City (Saint John)
Gahan House Riverside (Fredericton)
Gahan House Hub City (Moncton)
Gahan House Nova Centre (Halifax)
Gahan House Harbourview (St. John's)

Hope that helps and I'll update if I get a response with the registration answer.
Did you hear back yet James? I received this email from the GM at Gahan Halifax last night...now I truly don't know what to do haha

Hi Cameron,

You are still able to drop off. Can you leave a note with all your info. I an not sure about the event, I will have to contact head office.

Thanks,

Billy

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:06 am

That's pretty much what I got. I ended up just dropping my beer off with a note and hopefully the registration will open up or they will maybe contact me for payment. Not sure if my beer will be entered, but hoping they'll figure out a way.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:13 pm

Same here. Dropped my beer off and hoping for the best. The guy on the counter said the brewer said it wouldn’t go through but you never know. A bit frustrating as I would have made it Friday if I didn’t see the message about drop off extension for the weekend

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:18 pm

I'm in the same boat, I dropped the ball on this one.
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

GahanBrewer
Name: Ryan

Post by GahanBrewer » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:39 am

Hey everybody,

Sorry about the confusion cause by the deadline extension. I've just heard from head office regarding registry and dropoff.

Registration closed on Friday, so if you had not registered by end of day Friday, unfortunately you missed the deadline and we will not accept your entry.

If you did register your entry prior to Friday's deadline, we will continue to accept your entry, with a drop-off deadline of 11 pm TONIGHT (March 6).

If any of you were told by our staff that you were unable to drop off your entry at any point this weekend (again, note that your registration needed to have been completed by the Friday cutoff) please contact me and I'll make it right.

One last things regarding t-shirts: I've been told they were delayed by a couple weeks, but we now have them in stock. If you dropped off your entry and didn't receive one, please contact me and we can arrange pickup.

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:28 pm

GahanBrewer wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:39 am
Hey everybody,

Sorry about the confusion cause by the deadline extension. I've just heard from head office regarding registry and dropoff.

Registration closed on Friday, so if you had not registered by end of day Friday, unfortunately you missed the deadline and we will not accept your entry.

If you did register your entry prior to Friday's deadline, we will continue to accept your entry, with a drop-off deadline of 11 pm TONIGHT (March 6).

If any of you were told by our staff that you were unable to drop off your entry at any point this weekend (again, note that your registration needed to have been completed by the Friday cutoff) please contact me and I'll make it right.

One last things regarding t-shirts: I've been told they were delayed by a couple weeks, but we now have them in stock. If you dropped off your entry and didn't receive one, please contact me and we can arrange pickup.
I have to say this has pissed me off to no end. You put a post on here to say there was an extension until the end of the weekend. No mention that the registration would close on Friday. I travelled down from Truro to enter my beer and was staying in Lower Sackville for the weekend. If you hadn’t have posted that I would have driven in to the city Friday night, registered and dropped off the beer. As it was I waited until the Sunday as I was going to be in the city that day anyway only to find out registration had closed Friday. I dropped off the beer anyway with my contact details hoping you guys would take ownership of your screw up and accept the late entries but I guess that’s not the case.

Return to “Competitions & Awards”