Cubitainer/polypin source?

A spot to talk general homebrew
MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Cubitainer/polypin source?

Post by MitchK » Fri May 06, 2016 1:07 pm

I'd like to experiment a bit with cask conditioning in a polypin for my English ales but I'm having trouble finding a good source of them in Canada. Anyone else ever do any research on this? Any possibility of a local homebrew store getting them in? Maybe a group buy from a lab/industrial supply place?

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Cubitainer/polypin source?

Post by MitchK » Sat May 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Well I picked up what I hope is an equivalent product and will be gambling 5 gallons of ordinary bitter on it as soon as I get off the crutches and have a free ferm chamber.

peterccann
Name: Peter Cann

Post by peterccann » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:04 am

Hello Mitch,
I know it’s been a couple years but am curious as to how this went? I would love to be able to pour some cask ales at home.
Cheers,
Peter

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:29 am

Mitch has not been too active here as he moved to BC,
https://wildambition.beer/about-us/

Sandy

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by MitchK » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:27 pm

Hey, I just got linked this by a friend of mine - the off brand water cube I tried via amazon did not seem to ever carbonate for me - I suspect the spigot leaked under pressure (I conditioned it with the spigot facing up for fear of flooding the living room my fermentation fridge was in)

I think the ideal vessel for cask ale at home at this point for most homebrewers (or hell even for pro brewers) is to just use a keg (either sanke or corny) - just naturally carb to cask ale levels, hook a cask breather up to the gas in and a beer engine to the liquid out. Obviously if cask ale is your main focus like granite (rip) it makes sense to do the whole thing with pins/firkins but if you're already set up for corny/sanke kegs there's no reason they won't work - we already naturally carb all our kegs (because we naturally carb everything whether it's bottles/cans/kegs - force carbonation on mixed-ferm beer generally is a recipe for THP unless you have very very nice packaging equipment) so I'm hoping to pick up a beer engine for the lounge and keg-condition a few historic british styles in petainer kegs.

I did just get some samples for bag in box wine bladders that I'm gonna blow up seeing if they can contain cask ale levels of carbonation as a bulk "to-go" stock/old ale product no one asked for (I don't think it's gonna work but hey free samples are free samples and I've got a 1400L bretted porter run coming up in cans)

P.S. Hi Sandy, we'll have to grab a beer the next time I'm in NS (after the whole pandemic thing) - I had a very brief window in Halifax the last time I was home (for a family funeral) and I swung by the old neighbourhood but nobody seemed to be home. Hopefully next time I'll be around in happier circumstances and have a bit more time to catch up with everyone.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:38 pm

Good to hear from you.

How is the pro-brewing going?

S

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by MitchK » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:58 pm

GAM wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:38 pm
Good to hear from you.

How is the pro-brewing going?

S
About as well as it could be given the circumstances - Our taproom was way too tiny to serve on site during the pandemic so we're doing a pretty tiny trickle of web store order local pickup as our only full retail sales, but we started wholesaling in earnest including shipping to vancouver+the island right before the pandemic so we've just been pushing a lot more beer for a lot less money per litre for the past year but the rent is being covered and it'll be nice to have that wholesale stream and retail (with a new renovation to have a full lounge with food and pints instead of just a little room we sell flights in) by the end of the year. We had a little outdoor patio thing going on last summer as a temporary COVID allowance but kelowna is in a much worse spot this year than it was last year and our one employee left to go back to school last fall and we didn't replace her because the patio was gone anyway and I don't really want to go through hiring someone I don't know/trust until we're vaccinated so we may miss out on the patio this year (there is no way we can keep up on production for wholesale and bartend 30 hours a week at the same time without an employee - as is we're already falling behind on the little things like labelling since those were things our one employee did when it was slow in the taproom before)

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:49 pm

Good times!!

When I get my shots I'll be your bar bitch and set up a bed in the brewery.

S

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”