Page 1 of 1

LME vs DME.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:21 pm
by maglorski
Can anyone give me pros and cons of using LME in place of DME (and vice versa). I'm looking at a DIPA and it calls for both LME and DME.

My understanding is that if I go all LME I should take the required DME and multiply it by about 1.2 to get the LME equivalent.

However, is there a loss in quality if I choose to go all LME?

On the cost side it seems that a kg of DME is quite a bit more than LME...

Thx.

Mike.

Re: LME vs DME.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:41 pm
by Andre
In my experience I haven't noticed any taste difference between the 2.

I often use DME for the simple fact that it's easier to use IMO.

If I'm brewing a extract batch I'll often use LME as it's cheaper and I need a lot more.

Re: LME vs DME.

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:09 pm
by mr x
DME is the tool of the Devil.

Re: LME vs DME.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:23 am
by darciandjenn
DME is the tool of the Devil.
:stupid:

It's pure evil. I use it for starters only because it's easier to weigh out.

Re: LME vs DME.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:30 am
by donking
LME is cheaper but it can be messy, also be careful not to scorch it. Keep stirring until it's fully dissolved in your wort.
DME is more expensive, but not messy and faster to dissolve in water.

Re: LME vs DME.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:41 am
by mthibodeau
also lme will darken as it sits, so if you plan to store some for a while, or buy from a shop without a lot of turnover your recipe could end up darker than planned. Personally I dont care, but if you are shooting for competition or the colour matters to you, you may want to consider this as well

Re: LME vs DME.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:03 am
by maglorski
My intent is to buy it on Thursday and brew on Saturday so it won't be sitting around for long.

I am well aware of the potential messiness of the LME...still finding sticky patches of concrete in my garage.

So what I'm gathering is that there's not a huge difference (not shooting for competition level stuff so the colour isn't a priority). As I'm comfortable with LME I'll stick with that.

As always, thanks to all for the insight.

M.

Re: LME vs DME.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:02 pm
by sheppard107
OK, I'll bite. Why is DME the tool of the devil?

Re: LME vs DME.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:17 pm
by Keith
sheppard107 wrote:OK, I'll bite. Why is DME the tool of the devil?
Sticky fucking mess. Goes everywhere and gets in everything.

Re: LME vs DME.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:38 pm
by MitchK
DME is sticky? I thought that was LME.

Re: LME vs DME.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:49 pm
by darciandjenn
The powder gets freakin' everywhere and then as soon as any hint of moisture is involved, it instantaneously turns into a gigantic sticky mess. With LME, you may drip here but you're kind of in control of the situation.

Re: LME vs DME.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:53 pm
by sheppard107
Keith wrote:
sheppard107 wrote:OK, I'll bite. Why is DME the tool of the devil?
Sticky fucking mess. Goes everywhere and gets in everything.
Yeah, that's what I thought you'd say. Never hurts to ask though :)

Re: LME vs DME.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:11 pm
by HoweFox
Yeah I found DME to be a big pain to work with. Would stick to everything and would take forever to mix thoroughly without lumps. I basically went all-grain BIAB because I figured mixing grain would be easier and I didn't mind waiting an hour before boiling.