Page 1 of 1
Brew hardware order
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:29 pm
by B-boy
Just putting a feeler out. I am in need of some silver solder and flux but can't find any locally so I'm going to place an order with Brewhardware.com. If anyone would like to tack onto my order let me know in the next few days.
Re: Brew hardware order
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:33 pm
by Keith
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bernz ... pa09TFIhYc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check your local CT
Re: Brew hardware order
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:38 pm
by mcgster
I had terrible luck with that kit, i went through the whole role of solder and the joint sucked. I re did them all with the stay brite kit.
It was a great source of aggravation for me at the time.
Re: Brew hardware order
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:38 pm
by B-boy
I saw that on their site but in the Q&A section someone asks if this will work for stainless kettle and fitting and they are directed to a different product. have you used this before?
"Answer:
You may want to consider brazing for a stainless steel application. if you go with brazing, you will need the nickel/Silver brazing rod which is model# NS3 and you will need a High Activity Stainless Steel liquid Flux. You can get this type of flux from other manufactures including our sister company Worthington 1955. The product # for Worthington is 331929 in the US or 334053 in Canada.The process of brazing is much like soldering only at a higher temperature and with greater tensile strength."
Re: Brew hardware order
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:42 pm
by B-boy
Mark did you buy the stay brite locally or online?
Re: Brew hardware order
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:43 pm
by AllanMar
I've got lots of the flux, bought a big bottle from ebay awhile ago. Getting low on solder, so your on your own there. I believe the flux is the most important part here though, other silver solders will likely work.
Re: Brew hardware order
Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:51 am
by B-boy
Allan I will take you up on the flux offer. I'm sure I can find some solder closer to home.
Re: Brew hardware order
Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:56 am
by Jayme
Temperature is also quite important when using silver solder - butane or propane usually is not enough. I've used silver solder with a MAPP torch quite successfully. We have a guy at work that uses propane routinely for an assembly successfully, but I think he has to heat the joint up for like 5 minutes before applying solder which is a lot longer than I have patience for!