Propane Burner

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
Andre
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am
Name: Andre

Propane Burner

Post by Andre » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 pm

I'm making the jump from stove top brewing to propane brewing. The plan is doing 10 Gallon all grain brews.

I was given a Turkey Fryer for christmas but got the ok to return it to add some money to get a proper burner and pot.

I have been eying the following since the price is right and seems to be between a Blichmann and the Dark Star as far as BTU's go.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... owGMJMrKuU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you think I'll wait forever to get 10G-12G of wort to boil? Am I waisting my time trying to get a budget burner?

I'm trying to keep the price down, as I still need to purchase a brew pot and plan to get a tri-clad kettle.

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Propane Burner

Post by jacinthebox » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:38 pm

I've used lots of burners over the past years...kijiji finds mostly. That looks fine. Saying that, I replaced both of my burners with Dark Stars from everwood. Mine were just too loud...I can listen to music on the deck now while brewing with the Dark Stars
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Propane Burner

Post by amartin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:15 pm

I can't comment on that burner, but it looks similar to the one I've been using. http://www.kent.ca/kbs/en/product.jsp?p ... alogId=534" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been having no issues with this. It's a bit loud, but that doesn't bother me.

User avatar
Bluefin 774
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:34 pm
Name: Mike
Location: Mount Pearl, Newfoundland

Re: Propane Burner

Post by Bluefin 774 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Andre wrote:I'm making the jump from stove top brewing to propane brewing. The plan is doing 10 Gallon all grain brews.

I was given a Turkey Fryer for christmas but got the ok to return it to add some money to get a proper burner and pot.

I have been eying the following since the price is right and seems to be between a Blichmann and the Dark Star as far as BTU's go.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... owGMJMrKuU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you think I'll wait forever to get 10G-12G of wort to boil? Am I waisting my time trying to get a budget burner?

I'm trying to keep the price down, as I still need to purchase a brew pot and plan to get a tri-clad kettle.

Thanks in advance.
That is the one I'm using, I find it works great. I think at that price it is well worth it. :cheers:
Take care, Bluefin.

Tap # 1: Apple Cider
Tap # 2: Kolsch

Fermenting: Bluefin's Hefeweisen
Fermenting:

Up Next: ?

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Propane Burner

Post by jeffsmith » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:10 pm

My vote is for the KAB4 or KAB6. I still have one of the Kent burners but it takes significantly longer to heat than the Banjo burners, especially for 10+ gallon batches. Just watch the rate you're burning propane with the Banjo burner or you'll freeze your tank and regulator up.

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: Propane Burner

Post by Woody » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:32 am

jeffsmith wrote:My vote is for the KAB4 or KAB6. I still have one of the Kent burners but it takes significantly longer to heat than the Banjo burners, especially for 10+ gallon batches. Just watch the rate you're burning propane with the Banjo burner or you'll freeze your tank and regulator up.
:stupid: I have the KAB6 and it eats through propane but it's a beast. I have it dialed in and can get two 10 gallon batches per tank. If saving time is worth the money i'd consider it.

saosborne
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: sean osborne
Location: Fall River

Re: Propane Burner

Post by saosborne » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:24 pm

I've been using that cnd tire burner for about 2 years now. works well enough for $50 haven't really measured the propane consumption on it but I'm pretty sure its over 2 batches. Its quiet, simple and easily adjusted, Its not a banjo style but is a multi port burner so the heat is more evenly distributed yet not using as much fuel as the banjo,and not creating a hot spot that's susceptible like the jet burner. after 2 years (and many boilovers) its still working great. the only problem i see with it is the support arms look to be sagging slightly. I think the pot supports are designed poorly but i havent had any problems with stability doing 10 gallon batches. If you want quality construction spend the money on a blichman, if you want something that does the job, is not too hard on propane, and boils in a reasonable amount of time for cheap you cant go wrong with this one

donking
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:10 am
Name: GC
Location: Shediac,NB

Re: Propane Burner

Post by donking » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Woody wrote:
jeffsmith wrote:My vote is for the KAB4 or KAB6. I still have one of the Kent burners but it takes significantly longer to heat than the Banjo burners, especially for 10+ gallon batches. Just watch the rate you're burning propane with the Banjo burner or you'll freeze your tank and regulator up.
:stupid: I have the KAB6 and it eats through propane but it's a beast. I have it dialed in and can get two 10 gallon batches per tank. If saving time is worth the money i'd consider it.

Yep I have the KAB6 and burn about the same amount of propane. The stand is large and very heavy duty, I would not be scared to put a 40 Gallon Kettle on top of it. I'm glad I bought the KAB6 instead of cheaping out.

I recommend that you have 2 propane tanks in case you run out of propane on one tank.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Propane Burner

Post by Keith » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:43 pm

donking wrote:
Woody wrote:
jeffsmith wrote:My vote is for the KAB4 or KAB6. I still have one of the Kent burners but it takes significantly longer to heat than the Banjo burners, especially for 10+ gallon batches. Just watch the rate you're burning propane with the Banjo burner or you'll freeze your tank and regulator up.
:stupid: I have the KAB6 and it eats through propane but it's a beast. I have it dialed in and can get two 10 gallon batches per tank. If saving time is worth the money i'd consider it.

Yep I have the KAB6 and burn about the same amount of propane. The stand is large and very heavy duty, I would not be scared to put a 40 Gallon Kettle on top of it. I'm glad I bought the KAB6 instead of cheaping out.

I recommend that you have 2 propane tanks in case you run out of propane on one tank.
KAB6 is the way to go. Spend the extra, definitely worth it.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Propane Burner

Post by GAM » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:00 am

donking wrote:I recommend that you have 2 propane tanks in case you run out of propane on one tank.
Do this no matter what burner you use.

S

Andre
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am
Name: Andre

Re: Propane Burner

Post by Andre » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:22 pm

I already have 2 tanks for my BBQ and will likely pick up a third when I get my burner.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Honestly cost at this point is a concern as I'm already over my initial budget for new equipment.

So for those who have used that Canadian Tire one, in average how long would you estimate does it take to boil for a 10G batch? Same question to those with a KAB4/KAB6?

I'm just tying to get a idea of what kind of difference I would see between the 2 options. I can live waiting a bit longer for a boil to start, as long it's reasonable.

User avatar
Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 am
Name: Neil
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Propane Burner

Post by Juniper Hill » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:30 pm

GAM wrote:
donking wrote:I recommend that you have 2 propane tanks in case you run out of propane on one tank.
Do this no matter what burner you use.

S
Absolutely!

User avatar
Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 am
Name: Neil
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Propane Burner

Post by Juniper Hill » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:32 pm

I used to have the Canadian Tire burner, but really didn't like it. It's worth a few extra dollars to get something better IMO. That KAB6 looks pretty sweet, and a lot cheaper than the Blichman model I ended up going with.
Last edited by Juniper Hill on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
Name: Michael Orr
Location: Middle Sackville

Re: Propane Burner

Post by mikeorr » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:32 pm

Yeah, I still only have 1 tank for my Blichmann burner and I get nervous every brew once I think it's at least half empty. I bought one of those propane tank gauges, but it's not all that useful (or accurate).

saosborne
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: sean osborne
Location: Fall River

Re: Propane Burner

Post by saosborne » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:31 pm

Andre wrote:I already have 2 tanks for my BBQ and will likely pick up a third when I get my burner.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Honestly cost at this point is a concern as I'm already over my initial budget for new equipment.

So for those who have used that Canadian Tire one, in average how long would you estimate does it take to boil for a 10G batch? Same question to those with a KAB4/KAB6?

I'm just tying to get a idea of what kind of difference I would see between the 2 options. I can live waiting a bit longer for a boil to start, as long it's reasonable.
time wise for a boil,
I couldnt really tell you never actually measured it it also depends on wind outside temp etc. another note is that there really isnt a wind guard on this model its never been an issue for me due to the fact i brew just inside the garage. If id have to guess probably about 20-30 mins. You can decrease this time by starting to heat prior to completing the run off. another thing to note is I don't run the regulator wide open unless its windy or really cold the burner puts out enough btu's that once it reaches the boil point its fast to boil over. In the time it takes to boil I'm doing cleanup and not watching as closely as I could be for boilovers

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: Propane Burner

Post by Woody » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:14 pm

Andre wrote:I already have 2 tanks for my BBQ and will likely pick up a third when I get my burner.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Honestly cost at this point is a concern as I'm already over my initial budget for new equipment.

So for those who have used that Canadian Tire one, in average how long would you estimate does it take to boil for a 10G batch? Same question to those with a KAB4/KAB6?

I'm just tying to get a idea of what kind of difference I would see between the 2 options. I can live waiting a bit longer for a boil to start, as long it's reasonable.
For a 10 gallon batch without turning the burner up crazy you are looking at 15-20 minutes for a nice hard boil. I could do it faster but it's not worth the propane. The KAB6 has a cast iron burner and frame which is very sturdy. The KAB6 also has the BG14 burner so even heat distribution is not an issue for this jet burner. It's similar to the Blichmann. The difference between the two is the stainless frame and the regulator. The KAB6 has a 30 psi which may be over kill unless you run NASA. If funds are an issue with the budget grab the Crappy Tire one and go from there. I did a side by side batch with a friend who used this burner and it was only 5 minutes behind the KAB6. Thy gravity was 2 points lower which could be many factors but my guess was boil off. Food for thought.
Last edited by Woody on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Propane Burner

Post by gm- » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:28 am

I used a very similar burner for 10 gallon batches and it worked fine. My brew days were around 5 hours. Decent burner if money is an issue

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

donking
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:10 am
Name: GC
Location: Shediac,NB

Re: Propane Burner

Post by donking » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:15 pm

Andre wrote:I already have 2 tanks for my BBQ and will likely pick up a third when I get my burner.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Honestly cost at this point is a concern as I'm already over my initial budget for new equipment.

So for those who have used that Canadian Tire one, in average how long would you estimate does it take to boil for a 10G batch? Same question to those with a KAB4/KAB6?

I'm just tying to get a idea of what kind of difference I would see between the 2 options. I can live waiting a bit longer for a boil to start, as long it's reasonable.

You can always fill your kettle with water in advance and wait till the water is at room temp to save a little bit on boiling time/propane. I do that once in awhile when I plan my brews ahead of time.

Andre
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am
Name: Andre

Re: Propane Burner

Post by Andre » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I have a bit of time to think and save some money.

When the time comes I'll re check my finances and if I can swing the extra money I'll get the KAB4 or KAB6. If not I'll stick with that CT one.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests