Page 1 of 1
Blowoff Tube Diameter?
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:51 am
by sheppard107
What diameter blow-off tube does everyone use? I had to use the 5/16" stuff I had lying around for my last batch, and let's just say I wouldn't have been surprised to come home and find brown ale all over the rec room due to the line getting clogged. Do you just get the biggest diameter you can jam into the carboy?
Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:07 pm
by jeffsmith
I use ½" silicon tubing. Jam it on the tube on the inside of an airlock.
Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:12 pm
by RossBee
jeffsmith wrote:I use ½" silicon tubing. Jam it on the tub on the inside of an airlock.
This.
Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:22 pm
by GAM
3/8" on a orange cap works too.
S
Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:25 pm
by sheppard107
Great, thanks. I hadn't considered using the airlock as a 'connector'
Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:13 pm
by jason.loxton
I use 1/2" silicone too, but put it on a brass hose barb like the one below. The threaded end twists quite nicely into a stopper, and the barbs hold the tubing snug. The stopper/barb/tubing combo can also be boiled as as unit, if one wishes. You can grab one from Canadian Tire, etc.
125-10-6.jpg
Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:17 pm
by Jimmy
I used to use a piece of tubing (3/8" maybe) jammed into one of the caps from the 18.9L water bottles.

Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:11 am
by spears104
I have used two methods, both use 0.5`inch tubing. I bored out a standard 6.5 bung with a 0.5 inch drill to insert a 0.5 inch into the bung. I have also just put a piece of 0.5 inch ID hose over the `base`of a 3 piece air lock. I prefer usuing 0.5 inch as it does not seem to result in any back pressure dring fermentation.
Re: Blowoff Tube Diameter?
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:47 pm
by sheppard107
Thanks for all the replies. ~1/2" tubing magyvered on the carboy in some fashion seems to be the consensus.