I've got a recipe from a place in the States and I'm having a hard time deciphering what the equivalent would be.
Gold malt syrup = ?
Dingemans Cara 20 = ?
Briess Caramel 20 = ?
If I'm heading to Everwood or NG, just wondering if I can put this together.
Thx in adv!
Mike.
Ingrediant equivalents.
- maglorski
- Verified User

- Posts: 116
- Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am
- Name: Mike
- Location: Dartmouth
- Celiacbrew
- Verified User

- Posts: 849
- Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
- Name: Mike E.
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: Ingrediant equivalents.
Cara 20 is carapils. Caramel 20 is any caramel of crystal malt listed as 20L. The difference is that cara 20 is in EBC so it is about 8L.
The malt syrup is the same as any light coloured liquid malt extract.
If you go to Everwood you can always ask Dave what the equivalents are and he will help you choose the right ingredients. Just bring your recipe with you.
The malt syrup is the same as any light coloured liquid malt extract.
If you go to Everwood you can always ask Dave what the equivalents are and he will help you choose the right ingredients. Just bring your recipe with you.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Mike E.
Mike E.
- maglorski
- Verified User

- Posts: 116
- Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am
- Name: Mike
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: Ingrediant equivalents.
Excellent, thx very much.
-
jason.loxton
- Verified User

- Posts: 972
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
- Name: Jason Loxton
- Location: sydney ns
Re: Ingrediant equivalents.
CeliacBrew: I might be mistaken, but I don't think what you said is correct. Carapils has a rating of around 1.5L. Dingemans has a malt called "Caras 20 MD" that does has an L value of about 8 (20 EBC), as you note. It isn't totally clear to me, but I think they also make a product called "Cara 20" that has an L value of about 20 (either that or Northernbrewer and Midwest supplies both have the L value wrong in the specifications--see below).
If you're working from a recipe, I think I'd assume that they are using a generic caramel 20 malt of some kind. You can double check by through the numbers in a software program and seeing if the predicted SRMs make sense given what the recipe lists.
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Carapils.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dingemansmout.be/sites/dinge ... _20_MD.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/ding ... lt#reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/maillard ... -malt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you're working from a recipe, I think I'd assume that they are using a generic caramel 20 malt of some kind. You can double check by through the numbers in a software program and seeing if the predicted SRMs make sense given what the recipe lists.
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Carapils.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dingemansmout.be/sites/dinge ... _20_MD.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/ding ... lt#reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/maillard ... -malt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests