Page 1 of 1

Fermentation advice

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:02 pm
by Broob
I think the answer to this question is going to be relax and give it more time but....

I have a lager fermenting right now. Original gravity 1054, (mash temp 154F) lots of white labs bock yeast pitched on September 6th (properly aerated) at 52F. Warmed it up for a few days at 58F after 3 weeks. Took a gravity reading yesterday and it's at 1020. Estimated final gravity is 1014. Majority of yeast activity looks to have stopped and has flocculated out. The sample was tasty and it was still bubbly. I roused up some of the yeast at the bottom and warmed it up to 65F. Should I expect this to finish out closer to 1014 or is it done? I'm going to check it again in a week.

Re: Fermentation advice

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:49 pm
by jeffsmith
I'm guessing it'll finish up as it warms.

Re: Fermentation advice

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:40 pm
by spuds
Thinking the same as Jeff. Just a side note. Couple years ago was using a bad thermometer which was 10 deg out and all my FG were 1020 or so. Once I got myself a good thermometer all has been good.

Re: Fermentation advice

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:50 pm
by CartoonCod
Did you have a big yeast starter? Lagers need lots of yeast. I've had that happen before with lagers that I've underpitched.

Re: Fermentation advice

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:53 pm
by Broob
CartoonCod wrote:Did you have a big yeast starter? Lagers need lots of yeast. I've had that happen before with lagers that I've underpitched.
Yeah I pitched a ton. A large mason jar full from a batch of Pilsner that I had just finished.

Re: Fermentation advice

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:23 pm
by Buccaneer
I went through this with a doppelbock I've got underway - appeared to ferment fine for 3 weeks, but the SG was still quite high. Cranked up the temp to do a diacetyl rest for a few days and I hit my estimated FG.

Re: Fermentation advice

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:52 am
by McGruff
I use that yeast most of the time. I mash @ 149 F with a water/grain ratio of 1.50 QTS/lb. My FG is always around 1.012 - 1.014. Try lowering your mash temp and that may help.