Fermentation advice

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
Name: Steve M
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Fermentation advice

Post by Broob » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:02 pm

I think the answer to this question is going to be relax and give it more time but....

I have a lager fermenting right now. Original gravity 1054, (mash temp 154F) lots of white labs bock yeast pitched on September 6th (properly aerated) at 52F. Warmed it up for a few days at 58F after 3 weeks. Took a gravity reading yesterday and it's at 1020. Estimated final gravity is 1014. Majority of yeast activity looks to have stopped and has flocculated out. The sample was tasty and it was still bubbly. I roused up some of the yeast at the bottom and warmed it up to 65F. Should I expect this to finish out closer to 1014 or is it done? I'm going to check it again in a week.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Fermentation advice

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:49 pm

I'm guessing it'll finish up as it warms.

spuds
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 5:37 pm
Name: Bobby
Location: PEI

Re: Fermentation advice

Post by spuds » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:40 pm

Thinking the same as Jeff. Just a side note. Couple years ago was using a bad thermometer which was 10 deg out and all my FG were 1020 or so. Once I got myself a good thermometer all has been good.
Drinking: Red Hook clone
Waiting on: Fruit beer

User avatar
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
Name: Adam Comeau
Location: Halifax

Re: Fermentation advice

Post by CartoonCod » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Did you have a big yeast starter? Lagers need lots of yeast. I've had that happen before with lagers that I've underpitched.

User avatar
Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
Name: Steve M
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Fermentation advice

Post by Broob » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:53 pm

CartoonCod wrote:Did you have a big yeast starter? Lagers need lots of yeast. I've had that happen before with lagers that I've underpitched.
Yeah I pitched a ton. A large mason jar full from a batch of Pilsner that I had just finished.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

User avatar
Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
Name: Mike Digdon
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Fermentation advice

Post by Buccaneer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:23 pm

I went through this with a doppelbock I've got underway - appeared to ferment fine for 3 weeks, but the SG was still quite high. Cranked up the temp to do a diacetyl rest for a few days and I hit my estimated FG.

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: Fermentation advice

Post by McGruff » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:52 am

I use that yeast most of the time. I mash @ 149 F with a water/grain ratio of 1.50 QTS/lb. My FG is always around 1.012 - 1.014. Try lowering your mash temp and that may help.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest