Old style keg... converted for electric brewery filter ideas

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
mindless2
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm
Name: Todd Payne
Location: Quispamsis, NB

Old style keg... converted for electric brewery filter ideas

Post by mindless2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:50 pm

I've just done a mass upgrade .. made a mash tun, counterflow chiller, electric hlt and electric keggle!!

almost ready for testing!!
The tubing for the hlt is rather simple.. straight tube drawing from bottom center...

But I'm looking for ideas for the keggle... due to the style bottom, I was thinking of using a T and some curved copper then some braided tubing to sir I the outer dip, essentially sitting circular in the outer dip.

Maybe I'm totally off track??
Just looking for suggestions. ...
20150929_163219.jpg
20150929_161307.jpg
Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now On Tap.....
Irish Red Ale
Blonde Ale
Smoked Chili Ale
Sarsaparilla Ale

User avatar
joe_r_harvie
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 pm
Name: Joe Harvie
Location: Middle River, Cape Breton

Re: Old style keg... converted for electric brewery filter i

Post by joe_r_harvie » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:55 pm

I use a copper tube with cut slats on the bottom. It T's into a braided line. All sit in a steel screen door bag I sewed together. They last pretty good. I've made 3 in about 125 batches. The screen door rips and tears. Will try to send a pic.
Primary - Ptemium Bitter
Secondary -
On tap - Blonde, Best Bitter, Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Porter, Irish Red

User avatar
joe_r_harvie
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 pm
Name: Joe Harvie
Location: Middle River, Cape Breton

Re: Old style keg... converted for electric brewery filter i

Post by joe_r_harvie » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:06 pm

can't figure out how to add pic. a little slow. anyway it holds out most hops and cold break.
Primary - Ptemium Bitter
Secondary -
On tap - Blonde, Best Bitter, Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Porter, Irish Red

User avatar
mindless2
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm
Name: Todd Payne
Location: Quispamsis, NB

Re: Old style keg... converted for electric brewery filter i

Post by mindless2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:09 pm

so a braided line, wrapped in a screen? hops dont clog it?
Now On Tap.....
Irish Red Ale
Blonde Ale
Smoked Chili Ale
Sarsaparilla Ale

User avatar
joe_r_harvie
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 pm
Name: Joe Harvie
Location: Middle River, Cape Breton

Re: Old style keg... converted for electric brewery filter i

Post by joe_r_harvie » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:57 pm

that's right. I have never had any hop clogging as long as the braided line is kept clean. My runnings (other than first cup or so) are clear. My yeast cakes have no hop particles. I think it is the filter that gives me the clarity. You can buy them but making is easy. I have a picture but I can't figure out how to post it.
Primary - Ptemium Bitter
Secondary -
On tap - Blonde, Best Bitter, Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Porter, Irish Red

User avatar
mindless2
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm
Name: Todd Payne
Location: Quispamsis, NB

Re: Old style keg... converted for electric brewery filter i

Post by mindless2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:58 pm

i'll pm you my email address...
Now On Tap.....
Irish Red Ale
Blonde Ale
Smoked Chili Ale
Sarsaparilla Ale

User avatar
mindless2
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm
Name: Todd Payne
Location: Quispamsis, NB

Re: Old style keg... converted for electric brewery filter i

Post by mindless2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:00 pm

was going to build a hop spider , but this may be a better idea!!
Now On Tap.....
Irish Red Ale
Blonde Ale
Smoked Chili Ale
Sarsaparilla Ale

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest