Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:00 am

Drinking my latest, It's a special bitter "Brit Bit Special". It's great (medal winner for sure) but I might prefer ordinary bitter really. Not crazy on the crystal and my ordinary has none. That's why I don't like ESB and I wouldn't make one. Live and learn, I love new world hops, Australian and US, but also love a straight forward British drinkable bitter. I have to brew all these different styles for competitions, but we all know what we like. If I am not brewing for comps and brewing for myself, I'd make a fresh hoppy yeasty, cloudy, low carb beer served at cellar temp. Unfiltered has a handle on that and good for them (not because they don't filter, very few craft brewers do). Next year, or whenever it takes for me to get 100 awards, I'm going to focus on brewing beer I like. The best beer I ever had was a party keg at university in England. You ordered it 10 days in advance, it was yeasty as hell (10 days old) in a plastic keg with no pressure, real ale (of course) and delicious enough that I remember it to this day.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by GAM » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:14 am

I am too lazy to compete so I brew whet I want (with the odd request from others).

Pale, IPA, Mild, Bitter, Stout and Brown are my go to beer.

As you say low carb but also not too cold 10*c ish.

S

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by jacinthebox » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:25 am

I prefer to make and drink hoppy apa's with 25ish ibu...lots of late additions and dry hopped.
I enjoy stouts in the fall/winter
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by Woody » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:50 pm

I love Oatmeal Stouts, RIS and aggressively hopped beer. I always have a bigger grin on my face on brew days when I'm making IIPA's , IPA's and APA's.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by Jimmy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:52 pm

Woody wrote:I love Oatmeal Stouts, RIS and aggressively hopped beer. I always have a bigger grin on my face on brew days when I'm making IIPA's , IPA's and APA's.
This is basically the way I feel as well.

If I could only drink 1 style of beer, it would probably be IPA. Such a good style to pound back one after another.

I would add sours to that list though - love me some sour beer.

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by jacinthebox » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:03 pm

Sours are special for sure...I thank Jimmy, Jeremy and Nash for my newly found love of sours
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by GuingesRock » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:40 am

Why are sour beers not more commonplace commercially?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
evanisnor
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
Name: Evan Isnor
Location: Windsor

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by evanisnor » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:39 pm

GuingesRock wrote:Why are sour beers not more commonplace commercially?
It's just the atlantic market, I guess. I am in san francisco right now and they're not hard to find. I went to a bar last night that offered a flight of 3 different local sours. Almanac Dogpatch Sour is pretty tasty, small batch stuff. Most beer drinkers I know have not tried sour beer and are really curious about it, though.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by GuingesRock » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:57 pm

That's interesting. I had a sour maybe 3 times in my life. It isn't something that comes to the forefront of my mind when after a good beer to drink. Perhaps if I was in the mood for a novelty or something interesting to drink. The average pub night for an English man is about 8 pints of Bitter. I can't imagine sitting down and drinking 8 pints of sour, or is that possible, and has it been done? I suppose my question is, is it sessionable, and when/how does one drink sour beers.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
evanisnor
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
Name: Evan Isnor
Location: Windsor

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by evanisnor » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:24 pm

Drinking more than 8oz of sour beer can be a chore. It's a dessert beer and meant to be shared IMO.
*Edit: except for maybe a berliner weisse or something. I haven't had one but those look pretty sessionable. Still not sure I would drink 8 of them in a row.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by GuingesRock » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:42 pm

evanisnor wrote:Drinking more than 8oz of sour beer can be a chore. It's a dessert beer and meant to be shared IMO.
*Edit: except for maybe a berliner weisse or something. I haven't had one but those look pretty sessionable. Still not sure I would drink 8 of them in a row.
Also excellent information. Thanks. It sounds like something a bar might have a bottle or two of at the back of the shelf, rather than a few kegs of?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by jeffsmith » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:26 pm

Berliner Weisse is definitely sessionable. I could sit down and put away a growler of Nash's Daytimer in an evening no problem.

User avatar
ajcarp
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:19 pm
Name: John & Anita Carpenter
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by ajcarp » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:58 pm

evanisnor wrote:
GuingesRock wrote:Why are sour beers not more commonplace commercially?
It's just the atlantic market, I guess. I am in san francisco right now and they're not hard to find. I went to a bar last night that offered a flight of 3 different local sours. Almanac Dogpatch Sour is pretty tasty, small batch stuff. Most beer drinkers I know have not tried sour beer and are really curious about it, though.
Agreed. Sour beers started to boom in Denver/Portland about 2 years ago. Then, visiting in Vancouver last week, there were a great variety of sour beers to choose from. By the way, I dropped in on Kai, who is brewing at 33 Acres in the Brewery Creek area of Vancouver. Glad to see a fellow Brewnoser doing what he loves. X)

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by jacinthebox » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:19 pm

jeffsmith wrote:Berliner Weisse is definitely sessionable. I could sit down and put away a growler of Nash's Daytimer in an evening no problem.
Done it...fell in love...brewed my own shortly after
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am
Name: Lucas
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Where Does Your Heart Lie With Beer?

Post by Lucas » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:01 pm

To answer the original question, I think that I am really interested in special varieties of yeast and their characteristics. I love Trappist-style beers where the hops are toned down and the yeast flavours really shine. I've also brewed a few beers with Brettanomyces (in both 100% and secondary roles) and I am fascinated by its behaviour and the flavours it can create.
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests