1st batch of Festa Brew
-
Judas Brew
- Verified User

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:04 pm
- Name: Phil
1st batch of Festa Brew
Hello
So I just started my first batch of Festa brew Pale ale and was wondering can I leave the lid loose for the first few days then switch it to a lid with an air lock ( currently don't have any spare line for a blow off)
already paranoid about it turning out right even though I sanitized like crazy.
thanks
So I just started my first batch of Festa brew Pale ale and was wondering can I leave the lid loose for the first few days then switch it to a lid with an air lock ( currently don't have any spare line for a blow off)
already paranoid about it turning out right even though I sanitized like crazy.
thanks
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: 1st batch of Festa Brew
That should work out just fine.Judas Brew wrote:Hello
So I just started my first batch of Festa brew Pale ale and was wondering can I leave the lid loose for the first few days then switch it to a lid with an air lock ( currently don't have any spare line for a blow off)
already paranoid about it turning out right even though I sanitized like crazy.
thanks
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
-
mthibodeau
- Verified User

- Posts: 572
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
- Name: Marc Thibodeau
- Location: Beaver Bank, NS
Re: 1st batch of Festa Brew
How much head space do you have? You can probably just go with an airlock to start with
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
-
Judas Brew
- Verified User

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:04 pm
- Name: Phil
Re: 1st batch of Festa Brew
I have about 3 inches or so, I plan on leaving it in the primary Pale the whole timemthibodeau wrote:How much head space do you have? You can probably just go with an airlock to start with
-
mthibodeau
- Verified User

- Posts: 572
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
- Name: Marc Thibodeau
- Location: Beaver Bank, NS
Re: 1st batch of Festa Brew
personally id go with airlock, worst that can happen is that it foams so much it pops the airlock out and makes a bit of a mess, mess would happen with the cracked lid anyway. If it does mess the airlock just clean it out, and pop it back in
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
- Hobbitfu
- Verified User

- Posts: 308
- Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm
- Name: Trevor Funk
- Location: Saint John, NB
Re: 1st batch of Festa Brew
I just used an airlock with the oatmeal stout and had no issues. Usually only need blowoff tube with high gravity beers
- McGruff
- Registered User

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
- Name: Chris Storey
- Location: Cavan, Ontario
Re: 1st batch of Festa Brew
If the temp gets a little high you will see a lot of activity.
-
mthibodeau
- Verified User

- Posts: 572
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
- Name: Marc Thibodeau
- Location: Beaver Bank, NS
Re: 1st batch of Festa Brew
Do you have any ferm cap? That would definitely take care of it
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: 1st batch of Festa Brew
How loose is "loose"? When I ferment in a bucket, I snap it down all the way around, and then crack one side enough that the lid isn't catching, but the gasket still creates a physical seal. The lid helps to keep stuff from falling down into the beer, then the gasket helps to keep any fruit flies and other creatures out.
I don't switch to a lid with an airlock, as I like to minimize the amount of exposure to the environment, so it stays sealed (at first loosely like above, then tight once the action has stopped) until it's time to keg (~3-5 weeks).
I don't switch to a lid with an airlock, as I like to minimize the amount of exposure to the environment, so it stays sealed (at first loosely like above, then tight once the action has stopped) until it's time to keg (~3-5 weeks).
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests