Closed transfers

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
Location: Halifax

Closed transfers

Post by darciandjenn » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:26 am

So I may be picking up a free chest freezer in the near future with the idea that we may use it as a fermentation chamber, but I'm worried about moving full carboys in and out of it. Both my wife and I have back issues that come and go and I have this nightmarish vision in my head of picking up the glass carboy and then dropping it on the concrete floor, having it smash, severing an artery and bleeding to death all because I wanted to make a lager in the middle of August. :shock: (I actually have this vision every time I decide to rack from or clean the carboys when there's nobody else home)

I was wondering if anyone has experience with pushing their beer out of the carboy with CO2. Google says that you can buy a cap for this purpose but it seems dangerous to me (glass + pressure). I don't really want to switch up my equipment right now, though, so if any of you folks have done it successfully, it might be something I'd look into. I've thought about using a pump as well, but that would be more of an investment in equipment and pumps seem fraught with issues.

The other option would be to build a collar for it and turn it into a small keezer and convert my kegerator to the ferm chamber.

the-mailman
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm
Name: Bruce Mailman
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Closed transfers

Post by the-mailman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:36 am

You could also use a vacuum pump to transfer from primary to secondary. I use that method to move wine when I'm filtering it. I'm pretty sure you can rent a pump for the day from Noble Grape or you can build your own.

I made mine out of an old fridge compressor that was drained of coolant but still worked like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9enWvFTwac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It can pull down to about 30 in hg. I added a bleeder valve and vacuum gauge.

It's big and bulky and I'm planning on making a new one from either a portable air compressor like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGb-UwAXicI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or buying one like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRK3ojaxoI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner

In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty

Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime. :)

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Closed transfers

Post by jeffsmith » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:50 am

You need a very minimal amount of pressure to transfer (a couple psi) so I wouldn't worry much about over pressurizing the carboy. The plastic carboy cap would pop off well before that happened likely.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: Closed transfers

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:45 am

If the carboy was sitting on the compressor hump, you could probably transfer most or all of it with an autosiphon, especially if you raised the freezer slightly on blocks.

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Closed transfers

Post by Celiacbrew » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:46 pm

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/racking-co2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maltose Falcons have a how to. Never done it myself but I plan to give it a try. I just haven't bought the tubing.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
Name: Steffen Rosswog
Location: Baie Verte, NB

Re: Closed transfers

Post by RossBee » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:33 pm

jeffsmith wrote:You need a very minimal amount of pressure to transfer (a couple psi) so I wouldn't worry much about over pressurizing the carboy. The plastic carboy cap would pop off well before that happened likely.
This
Why brew beer I can buy?

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Closed transfers

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:00 pm

That maltose falcon DIY looks like the thing to do. I have transferred my last couple batches with an orange cap and racking cane, just used my mouth to get the siphon started - my eventual plan is to do co2 pressure transfers.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
Location: Halifax

Re: Closed transfers

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:29 am

Thanks guys! Now to rig it up...

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: Closed transfers

Post by jtmwhyte » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:55 am

I do this and thought I was original, but maybe I just saw it in a drunken haze one night and thought the idea was mine the next day, lol.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 10 guests