Page 1 of 2

Kegging tips?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:01 pm
by AngeSponge
Hey guys and dolls!

I'm kegging for the first time today/tomorrow. My Dad kegs and gave me some tips, just wondering if any of you had any rookie mistakes to avoid (because trust me, I'd make them)? Pro tips? Do any of you purge with CO2 prior to filling or is that overzealous?

Thanks!

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:03 pm
by Keith
Purge with CO2 prior to filling.
Purge headspace after before rocking.
Use this if you want to rock and force carbonate.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbon ... alculator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:06 pm
by AngeSponge
Great, thanks Keith!

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:10 pm
by jacinthebox
Test for leaks once pressurized with some sanitizer in a spray bottle...test all of ur other connectons as well...it may save u a trip to get ur tank refilled

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:23 pm
by Keith
Tear down all posts and also replace the seals first time. Also give the kegs a good hot soak.

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:32 pm
by AngeSponge
Awesome. They're soaking now, seem leak-proof as far as I can tell.

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:41 pm
by Keith
Take the posts off and give those a separate soak and sanitize before you fill them.

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:46 pm
by AngeSponge
Kk, thanks!

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:44 pm
by mstead
If using ball locks, don't force the liquid connector on the gas out post by accident. The posts are different. Ive been there and done that. What a pain in da arse to get off. Lol

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:02 pm
by jacinthebox
mstead wrote:If using ball locks, don't force the liquid connector on the gas out post by accident. The posts are different. Ive been there and done that. What a pain in da arse to get off. Lol
For this reason I always attach my labels the same way every time...gray gas (in) to the left of the label...black beer (out) to the left...

Also remember after you tear them apart to clean...that the slotted post is always gas (short dip tube)

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:03 pm
by mackay85
I agree that putting disconnects on the wrong posts are a big time pain! Also, first time using a keg give it a really good clean and then sanitize with Star San...seems obvious, but still worth posting. And get yourself some keg lube for all the gaskets. You can pick some up at Noble Grape.

I just started kegging a few months ago and I found this site to be really helpful, as well as just watching some youtube videos to get a sense of what to do / not do. Ohh, and coming from someone who still has bottle-washing fresh in his memory...KEGGING IS AMAZING!!!

:spilly: :cheers2: :drunk:

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:06 pm
by Keith
Personally I'd disagree with the keg lube. Stuff is hard to get off and feel it's a germ trap cause of that. Should be able to get a good seal without.

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:30 pm
by CorneliusAlphonse
I also don't use keg lube.

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:41 am
by LeafMan66_67
Keg lube should be a last resort. As Keith said, the stuff is really hard to clean off when cleaning kegs. It's not impossible though, and when I was in the food industry, that was used on every o-ring that came into contact with dairy products. The stuff works, but adds to your Keg cleaning time.

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:15 am
by jacinthebox
I only use it when the lid is not sealing

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:02 am
by Juniper Hill
Any tips on cleaning out the dip tubes? I always worry that they are hiding some nasty bugs.

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:10 am
by the-mailman
Juniper Hill wrote:Any tips on cleaning out the dip tubes? I always worry that they are hiding some nasty bugs.
Soaking in Oxyclean or PBW usually does the trick but just in case I use a brush designed to clean aquarium tubes. I got it for under $4
brush.JPG
Dave sells one similar to what I got too.

https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... ube-brush/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:11 am
by Celiacbrew
When cleaning keg lube or anything silicone, wipe it off with a paper towel without getting it wet. It might take several dry paper towels. Water seems to make it harder to remove for some reason.

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:43 pm
by GillettBreweryCnslt
Kegging Tips:

1. Use that force carb calculator from the first reply and rock it until you don't hear bubbles in the keg - then it's carbed at the correct pressure.
2. Seal the lid not using the handle but pressure. Use the handle to hold the lid closed then connect the CO2 line and allow the pressure to seal the lid. This seals most lids most of the time.
3. Understand line balancing to prevent foaming from the tap. Essentially the more pressure in your keg, the longer line you need. There are good articles on it here: http://bit.ly/1JqRpNQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and here: http://bit.ly/1HL23dS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4. Don't fill the keg past the bottom of the CO2 dip tube, under a certain set of circumstances this leads to beer flowing through the CO2 line and into your reg, essentially killing it.
5. When filling bottles or growlers turn off the pressure at the reg, release the pressure in the keg then turn on the reg at 2 PSI. This very slow pour will prevent a lot of foam when filling bottles/growlers. For a bonus, rinse the bottle/growler with cold water just before (not to cool it down, but to lube the inside, again reducing foam).
6. Once you've figured it out, bring me a beer! lol

:cheers:

Dave

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:40 pm
by mackay85
Thanks for posting on the keg lube...I think I'm going to take the forum advice and back off on it.

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:07 pm
by saosborne
keg lube shouldnt be used for sealing the kegs its to help the o rings from drying out, however having an extra set of o rings is certainly the better option.

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:12 am
by AngeSponge
Great tips fom everyone. I haven't invested in kegs for myself yet so I borrowed gear from my Dad and my he doesn't use lube (low hanging fruit right there), so I haven't. Thanks everyone for contributing.

Starting to lose patience!

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:54 am
by Kelly
Hey Folks,

Just set up the Kegerator All seems to be well.

Was given advice to turn it up to 30psi. Shake the keg for a while (10 minutes or so) and then let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then it would be carbonated.

I tried this. Let it sit, Burped the keg.....
Still comes out of the Taps like Water. NO HEAD on it at all.

We have to be doing something wrong.. Any Advice?


Thanks Guys!

Re: Starting to lose patience!

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:56 am
by Keith
Kelly wrote:Hey Folks,

Just set up the Kegerator All seems to be well.

Was given advice to turn it up to 30psi. Shake the keg for a while (10 minutes or so) and then let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then it would be carbonated.

I tried this. Let it sit, Burped the keg.....
Still comes out of the Taps like Water. NO HEAD on it at all.

We have to be doing something wrong.. Any Advice?


Thanks Guys!
Set it to serving pressure (use the calculator for carbonation) and leave it for a week. or use the carbonation calculator and rock until you hear no more gass going in.

Re: Kegging tips?

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:14 pm
by CorneliusAlphonse
When you first hook up the keg do you hear the gas going in? Can you taste the carbonation (changes the mouth feel of the beer, tastes a bit more sharp, less sweet than uncarbonated). If you swirl the glass does it bring up any head?