Page 1 of 1

Anyone Ever Use Birch Sap

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:54 am
by cobequidkid
Has anyone ever used Birch sap as part (or all) of their water component to make wort?

I'm thinking of tapping a few trees to collect sap, boil it to sterilize and then use it in a batch in the place of well water.

I'm thinking either a wheat beer, or an IPA.

Ideas and feedback appreciated.

Re: Anyone Ever Use Birch Sap

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:56 am
by robcoombs
I know someone who used maple sap in a maple brown. That turned out really well.

Re: Anyone Ever Use Birch Sap

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:43 pm
by Ladd
Yes another Brewnoser (gm-) made one here - http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... &hilit=sap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In another thread he stated that it was ok tasting but was super dry (http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... sap#p85384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Re: Anyone Ever Use Birch Sap

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:25 am
by Brewnoser
I have had two birch beers. It took the brewers a LONG time to boil down to 1040 or so. But they were both very good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk