Page 1 of 1

Hot-Toddy with the first runnings

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:11 pm
by evanisnor
I was doing a bit of reading on Barleywines and I came across this gem:
I think I may have picked up a new brew-day tradition... While I was talking to an assistant brewer at a brewery in Fayetteville, she taught me about a brew-day drink called a "hot-scotchie". It's where you take a shot of scotch mixed with a little bit of the first runnings from the mash. The next day, I had a brew-day with my buddy and we tried this so called hot-scotchie... Loved it! For this brew-day however I didn't have any scotch. So I made it with some crown (kinda losses something without the scotch though).
http://torrencebrewing.blogspot.ca/2013 ... -wine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone heard about this or actually tried it? Sounds like a waste of scotch to me :lol:

Re: Hot-Toddy with the first runnings

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:30 pm
by jeffsmith
Definitely don't use your best scotch, but yes, it's excellent. Have done this with first runnings from an RIS.

Re: Hot-Toddy with the first runnings

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:02 pm
by spears104
I saw this on a Brewing TV episode a couple of years ago. Looks great!

Re: Hot-Toddy with the first runnings

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:10 pm
by spears104
Episode 26 big beer brewing