Page 1 of 1
natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:01 am
by ottiscan
Has anyone had and any experience with adding sugar to the keg and naturally carbing a keg at room temperature, and using a spunding valve?
The keg would eventually be hooked up to CO2 gas after natural carbonation.
I want to give this a try and thought I'd ask the collective of their experiences.
Thanks,
Lew
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:15 am
by LiverDance
If you are just using priming sugar to carbonate then why use the spundling valve? I've seen other applications of the spundling valve but they cap fermentation to achieve carbonation. I naturally carb in a keg with sugar all the time with no additional bells and whistles just boil the sugar to liquify it, add to the keg, fill the keg, cap it with 12psi and let sit the same time as you would for bottling.
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:34 am
by Keith
LiverDance wrote:If you are just using priming sugar to carbonate then why use the spundling valve? I've seen other applications of the spundling valve but they cap fermentation to achieve carbonation. I naturally carb in a keg with sugar all the time with no additional bells and whistles just boil the sugar to liquify it, add to the keg, fill the keg, cap it with 12psi and let sit the same time as you would for bottling.
I've done the same as Brian, however tend to typically just hook up the CO2 and forget about it as I'm lazy.
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:34 am
by jacinthebox
Ive keg carbed beers...i add half of the sugar you would use in bottles.
once carbed, I chill the keg and hook up to co2 and serve...unless I use the jockey box then i skip the chill
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:25 am
by mr x
I do the same as LD, although remember to cut sugar from bottling calcs. Until you get your carb dose dialed in, a spundig might help. Also, I have been considering this for carbing a beer with it's own fermentables, for which a spundig would be of most value.
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:31 am
by GuingesRock
Where can you get spunding valves? I looked for them before.
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:34 am
by Keith
GuingesRock wrote:Where can you get spundig valves?
Oh shit here we go with the real ale discussion again. Lol. grock you're gonna need to cut those dip tube again.
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:42 am
by GuingesRock
I didn't say a thing.

Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:12 am
by GAM
GuingesRock wrote:Where can you get spunding valves? I looked for them before.
Ask for a 15psi presure relief valve and cobble it in to your gas fitting.
Chalmers or LD has one that my BIL gave me. I'll ask my "supplier" to look for one.
Sandy
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:23 pm
by ottiscan
Thanks everyone,
I was concerned about over-carbing/overpressure in the keg, hence the spunding valve. I'll reduce the bottling sugar when I try it.
I picked an adjustable one up at the Maine Brewing Supply Store in Portland for $US 25. I'll likely add a T and 0-30 pressure gauge, but that seems like over-kill after reading your posts. Picked up some crystal hops and other tidbits as well.
http://www.brewbrewbrew.com/kegging/kegs-and-parts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; bottom of the page.
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:24 pm
by ottiscan
It may also have use for Keg to Keg transfers as well. Just a thought.
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:30 pm
by Keith
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:34 pm
by ottiscan
As Mr. X stated, I was also thinking of finishing ferment in the keg once getting to within 2 points or so of FG.
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:22 pm
by jtmwhyte
For those who have done it does 1/2 the priming sugar work well?
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:33 pm
by AllanMar
ottiscan wrote:Thanks everyone,
I was concerned about over-carbing/overpressure in the keg, hence the spunding valve. I'll reduce the bottling sugar when I try it.
I picked an adjustable one up at the Maine Brewing Supply Store in Portland for $US 25. I'll likely add a T and 0-30 pressure gauge, but that seems like over-kill after reading your posts. Picked up some crystal hops and other tidbits as well.
http://www.brewbrewbrew.com/kegging/kegs-and-parts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; bottom of the page.
A few weeks ago I was mentioning this to Dave and he was going to bring a couple in for me (with gauge). Not sure if he was bringing in any extra, but anyone else may want to check with him first.
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:24 pm
by LeafMan66_67
jtmwhyte wrote:For those who have done it does 1/2 the priming sugar work well?
It is approximately 1/2 - is use the quantity calculated in Beersmith for "keg with corn sugar". I usually leave for a month in the keg.