natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
-
ottiscan
- Verified User

- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 am
- Name: Lew
- Location: Cole Hbr.
natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Has anyone had and any experience with adding sugar to the keg and naturally carbing a keg at room temperature, and using a spunding valve?
The keg would eventually be hooked up to CO2 gas after natural carbonation.
I want to give this a try and thought I'd ask the collective of their experiences.
Thanks,
Lew
The keg would eventually be hooked up to CO2 gas after natural carbonation.
I want to give this a try and thought I'd ask the collective of their experiences.
Thanks,
Lew
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
If you are just using priming sugar to carbonate then why use the spundling valve? I've seen other applications of the spundling valve but they cap fermentation to achieve carbonation. I naturally carb in a keg with sugar all the time with no additional bells and whistles just boil the sugar to liquify it, add to the keg, fill the keg, cap it with 12psi and let sit the same time as you would for bottling.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
I've done the same as Brian, however tend to typically just hook up the CO2 and forget about it as I'm lazy.LiverDance wrote:If you are just using priming sugar to carbonate then why use the spundling valve? I've seen other applications of the spundling valve but they cap fermentation to achieve carbonation. I naturally carb in a keg with sugar all the time with no additional bells and whistles just boil the sugar to liquify it, add to the keg, fill the keg, cap it with 12psi and let sit the same time as you would for bottling.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Ive keg carbed beers...i add half of the sugar you would use in bottles.
once carbed, I chill the keg and hook up to co2 and serve...unless I use the jockey box then i skip the chill
once carbed, I chill the keg and hook up to co2 and serve...unless I use the jockey box then i skip the chill
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
I do the same as LD, although remember to cut sugar from bottling calcs. Until you get your carb dose dialed in, a spundig might help. Also, I have been considering this for carbing a beer with it's own fermentables, for which a spundig would be of most value.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Where can you get spunding valves? I looked for them before.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Oh shit here we go with the real ale discussion again. Lol. grock you're gonna need to cut those dip tube again.GuingesRock wrote:Where can you get spundig valves?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
I didn't say a thing. 
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GAM
- Verified User

- Posts: 5429
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
- Name: Sandy MacNeil
- Location: North End HFX
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Ask for a 15psi presure relief valve and cobble it in to your gas fitting.GuingesRock wrote:Where can you get spunding valves? I looked for them before.
Chalmers or LD has one that my BIL gave me. I'll ask my "supplier" to look for one.
Sandy
-
ottiscan
- Verified User

- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 am
- Name: Lew
- Location: Cole Hbr.
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
Thanks everyone,
I was concerned about over-carbing/overpressure in the keg, hence the spunding valve. I'll reduce the bottling sugar when I try it.
I picked an adjustable one up at the Maine Brewing Supply Store in Portland for $US 25. I'll likely add a T and 0-30 pressure gauge, but that seems like over-kill after reading your posts. Picked up some crystal hops and other tidbits as well.
http://www.brewbrewbrew.com/kegging/kegs-and-parts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; bottom of the page.
I was concerned about over-carbing/overpressure in the keg, hence the spunding valve. I'll reduce the bottling sugar when I try it.
I picked an adjustable one up at the Maine Brewing Supply Store in Portland for $US 25. I'll likely add a T and 0-30 pressure gauge, but that seems like over-kill after reading your posts. Picked up some crystal hops and other tidbits as well.
http://www.brewbrewbrew.com/kegging/kegs-and-parts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; bottom of the page.
Last edited by ottiscan on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
ottiscan
- Verified User

- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 am
- Name: Lew
- Location: Cole Hbr.
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
It may also have use for Keg to Keg transfers as well. Just a thought.
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
GuingesRock wrote:I didn't say a thing.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

-
ottiscan
- Verified User

- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 am
- Name: Lew
- Location: Cole Hbr.
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
As Mr. X stated, I was also thinking of finishing ferment in the keg once getting to within 2 points or so of FG.
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
For those who have done it does 1/2 the priming sugar work well?
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
-
AllanMar
- Verified User

- Posts: 719
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
- Name: Allan
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
A few weeks ago I was mentioning this to Dave and he was going to bring a couple in for me (with gauge). Not sure if he was bringing in any extra, but anyone else may want to check with him first.ottiscan wrote:Thanks everyone,
I was concerned about over-carbing/overpressure in the keg, hence the spunding valve. I'll reduce the bottling sugar when I try it.
I picked an adjustable one up at the Maine Brewing Supply Store in Portland for $US 25. I'll likely add a T and 0-30 pressure gauge, but that seems like over-kill after reading your posts. Picked up some crystal hops and other tidbits as well.
http://www.brewbrewbrew.com/kegging/kegs-and-parts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; bottom of the page.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: natural carbonation in keg with spunding valvle?
It is approximately 1/2 - is use the quantity calculated in Beersmith for "keg with corn sugar". I usually leave for a month in the keg.jtmwhyte wrote:For those who have done it does 1/2 the priming sugar work well?
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests