Page 1 of 1

Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:08 pm
by TimG
http://www.princessauto.com/all-seasons ... -hand-pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

Came across this while looking for something completely different. Seems like it has plastic contact parts and no contact with grease/etc. Would this be a budget pump option for those looking to move hot wort around? Would be nice for primary to secondary tranfers too (basically takes 30 seconds versus waiting for siphon to do it's job).

Thoughts?

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:59 pm
by papercrane
As long as everything inside is food safe I don't see a problem. There should be valves inside as well, they might be lubricated with something you don't want to eat.

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:35 pm
by mr x
Hard to say if it will work. I've looked at different PA pumps in the past, and they could never meet the heat specs.

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:00 pm
by papercrane
It looks like this is the manufacturers page for the pump: http://www.handpumps.com/guzzler500.htm

The plastics used are Delrin, Dacron, and Buna-N. I have no idea if any of that is safe for handling hot wort.

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:25 pm
by jeffsmith
Buna-N - I believe this is the suggested type of o-rings to use for tri-clover clamps. Temperature Range: -35ºF to 250ºF

Delrin - High heat resistance

Not sure about the heat resistance Dacron. Apparently this is the material used to make PET bottles.

Take the info about the other two with a grain of salt—info found on the web and such...

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:32 am
by TimG
I'm planning on BIAB setup so might not be as concerned with hot wort as most folks. Mainly looking for faster transfer and not worrying about 'raising up' my burner (or picking up a keggle full of wort) just to transfer to primary. Is there other 'important' uses for a pump that this might be terribly inadequate for?

Tim

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 am
by akr71
TimG wrote:I'm planning on BIAB setup so might not be as concerned with hot wort as most folks. Mainly looking for faster transfer and not worrying about 'raising up' my burner (or picking up a keggle full of wort) just to transfer to primary. Is there other 'important' uses for a pump that this might be terribly inadequate for?

Tim

I was half thinking that it might be OK for getting a whirlpool going after chilling. That eliminates the 'hot wort' issue, but still leaves the 'food-safe' issue.

I also saw that in the flyer, but right next to it was a drill pump for $5. You hook it up to your electric drill. I had it in my hand & was headed to the door, but I couldn't find any info on what it wat made of on the box, so I took a pass.

http://www.princessauto.com/all-seasons ... drill-pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:56 pm
by TimG
I had one of those drill pumps before (for non-brewing).. but they just plain suck. Returned it.

Tempted to pull the trigger on this, open it up and have a look. Turns out not to be any good, back it''ll go (easy enough at PA).

Tim

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:00 pm
by ratchet
at that price... my guess is the case of that drill pump is made from ABS.

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:00 pm
by papercrane
TimG wrote:I had one of those drill pumps before (for non-brewing).. but they just plain suck. Returned it.

Tempted to pull the trigger on this, open it up and have a look. Turns out not to be any good, back it''ll go (easy enough at PA).

Tim
If you're going to go to all that trouble, why not just call the manufacturer and ask? It's a company in rural Ontario, they're probably pretty friendly.

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:01 pm
by TimG
You mean ask if it is food safe? Good idea, but I doubt it is 'as delivered'.. I can clean it out and add a food safe 'lube' as required I'm sure.

Tim

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:13 pm
by Garak
I'm using a $15 vacuum pump to transfer everything around in my brewery. I have a 5 gallon pyrex carboy that I use for hot water with a 3 gallon pyrex carboy inline for overflow and cooling the steam before the pump. I also just plug the pump directly into orange caps for transferring into the regular carboys. I just run it off an old router wall wort. It also works in reverse for pushing back out of the pyrex carboys, I mostly just use that for starting a siphon.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10398" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The main thing I can't do with the vacuum pump is whirlpooling.

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:59 am
by ratchet
you could likely also just build a peristaltic pump... that'd be completely food-safe (although, admittedly, more expensive)

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:24 pm
by TimG
Got a reply from the folks in Ont:

"There is a Guzzler model 2400 which is FDA approved for the food service industry and has a maximum temperature rating of 150 degrees F.
It can be supplied with a silicone diaphragm and valves which are compatible with beer , and there are no lubricants that come in contact the beer.
It has the same specs as the Guzzler 400H
This pump is $109.95 and would have to be ordered from the manufacture with a shipping date of about 2 weeks."

So the standard Guzzler 400 I guess isn't food safe (maybe the type of Buna-N?). Might as well buy a proper pump at $100+

Tim

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:03 pm
by maltster
Where is the best place to get a March pump?
X, did you mention you got the one with the brass (or bronze?) head?

I think I'll be looking to get one soon.

Re: Diaphragm Pump at PA?

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:25 am
by mr x
I bought mine from Burt Process in the states. Brass head at a really good price. It didn't have a cord or bracket, but that wasn't a concern for me.