Waxing bottles

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
Name: Adam Comeau
Location: Halifax

Waxing bottles

Post by CartoonCod » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:18 pm

I made a winter spiced beer that I plan on sharing around the holidays and I wanted to make it look nice to I got the idea of waxing the bottle tops with some coloured wax. I searched online quite a bit and most of the resources I found mentioned heating up glue sticks (to temps above 100 degC) with a frew crayons to get the desired effect. Other places mentioned that you can purchase coloured wax at certain wine/homebrew shops. I was a bit scared off by the glue because of the recent blowtorch fiasco at the December meeting and so far I haven't sourced any local coloured wax so I figured I would give it a try with paraffin wax with a few crayons. See the pics below. I figure the paraffin wax should be relatively easy to breakthrough without a blowtorch, but we'll see once I try to open one tomorrow.

Here is my proceedure if anyone wants to try it:
- melt 2 bars of wax with 3 crayon in a tin can in some boiling water (be careful, paraffin wax is flamable)
- dip the bottle in the wax, wait roughly 30 seconds and do it again until you can't see the cap (roughly 6 times)
- I found it works best when you do many at a time so you can dunk bottles while others are drying.
IMG_2254a.jpg
IMG_2255a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Waxing bottles

Post by jacinthebox » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:22 pm

Very cool
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Waxing bottles

Post by Celiacbrew » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:36 pm

Very professional looking. Well done.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Waxing bottles

Post by jeffsmith » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:04 am

Very nice. And they look like they can be opened, unlike the PEIBC bottles. :)

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Waxing bottles

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:01 am

Looks very nice Adam. Would that help beer keep longer also?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
Name: Adam Comeau
Location: Halifax

Re: Waxing bottles

Post by CartoonCod » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:50 am

GuingesRock wrote:Looks very nice Adam. Would that help beer keep longer also?
From what I've been reading oxygen can permeate through wax. Maybe it will slow down the oxydation, who knows. I'm just doing it for aesthetics.

User avatar
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
Name: Adam Comeau
Location: Halifax

Re: Waxing bottles

Post by CartoonCod » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:50 am

CartoonCod wrote:
GuingesRock wrote:Looks very nice Adam. Would that help beer keep longer also?
From what I've been reading oxygen can permeate through wax. Maybe it will slow down oxydation, who knows. I'm just doing it for aesthetics.

User avatar
BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:21 pm
Location: Halifax

Re: Waxing bottles

Post by BBrianBoogie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:02 am

Excellent job Adam, looks great!

User avatar
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
Name: Adam Comeau
Location: Halifax

Re: Waxing bottles

Post by CartoonCod » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:23 am

I plan on doing some more on the weekend with a different colour, and I think I will hang a small string around the neck of the bottle with a small loop before the wax dip so that you can use the string to help remove the wax.

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Waxing bottles

Post by gm- » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Looks good, might give this a try once I bottle my sours

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
Name: Adam Comeau
Location: Halifax

Re: Waxing bottles

Post by CartoonCod » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:25 pm

I just tried to remove the wax today. It was difficult to remove with my hands, but with a butterknife it was pretty straightforward. I'm going to try my string idea later on this weekend.

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Waxing bottles

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:41 pm

If you want it to come off easier maybe add a bit of softer wax? Beeswax or something ?
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
Name: Adam Comeau
Location: Halifax

Re: Waxing bottles

Post by CartoonCod » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:21 pm

On the beer waxing forums, I read that beeswax was expensive. Maybe more crayons will make it softer.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 16 guests