Page 1 of 1

Safbrew Abbaye Ale

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:31 am
by GuingesRock
Has anyone tried this? I think it's a new one.
Y24.jpg
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/SAFBREW- ... P3736.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://torontobrewing.ca/index.php/brew ... 1-5-g.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps. It says on that packet "Pitching: sprinkle into wort." I like that, it's not pretentious.

Re: Safbrew Abbaye Ale

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:56 am
by GuingesRock
I think I'm going to make a tripel with this. :rockin:

Will start researching the style.

Re: Safbrew Abbaye Ale

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:55 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
Cool. Where did you pick that up? Toronto brewing I guess? Wonder if Noble Grape or Dave will carry it

Re: Safbrew Abbaye Ale

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:53 am
by GuingesRock
I haven't got any yet Liam. Just discovered it this morning looking at dry yeast because I am getting fed up with liquid yeast. It looks good. Toronto brewing and OBK seem to have it.

:cheers:

Re: Safbrew Abbaye Ale

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:22 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
Cool. Probably is new, hopefully someone local will carry it soon.

As for dry yeast/rehydration - it's quite similar to liquid yeast and starters - you can often get away with it, especially if your yeast is fresh and the beer isn't too strong. But once your beer gets above a certain gravity, the amount of yeast just isn't going to be correct. Rehydrating ensures a high viability of the yeast so that more of the cells survive. (Starters are already hydrated, doing a starter just increases the number of cells you are pitching.

I've done my last few batches rehydrating my us05 - just turn the kettle on during the mash, let it boil then cool down, use a sanitized glass and weigh my water and yeast in and let em rehydrate during the boil. I usually put tinfoil on top. it gets to pitching temp at same time as the wort is cooled.

Re: Safbrew Abbaye Ale

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:39 pm
by gm-
Interesting, I have some WL abbey yeast, might be good idea to do a split batch of dubbel or a trippel