The "Big" Beer Exchange.

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by Keith » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:33 am

Alright. I'm already excited about Decembeer and want us to "plan" our next big beer exchange, but in a different method, something a bit easier for everyone, and more accessible, possibly do this quarterly?

Here's what I'm thinking for this idea. Welcome to suggestions.

We brew, set a exchange date and show up with a bunch of Kegs and Growlers. Exchange our beer, leave with Growlers and our empty keg. I know we have a few beer guns in the club, could fill these properly and so they will last a few months and give us more variety. Narrow it to a style(s)? I think it would be great to do a "hoppy" beer for the first.

:cheers2:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by Jimmy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:36 am

Can't say I'm really interested in the growler idea..it would mean only 10 beers for the exchange, since most people brew 5 gallon batches. Also, by doing that, we'd leave ourselves open to the last growler being half full...plus there are people who don't even keg.

Bottling sucks, but I think it's the best way to go about handling the exchange.

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by GAM » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:49 am

I think doing a bottle exchange quarterly is doable and if people want to exchange beer, in growlers, do it on the side.

Sandy

naes100
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 am

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by naes100 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:03 am

I think a quarterly exchange is a great idea!~ I'm in! Still depressed I didn't get in on the December one….

Bottle would be the way to go..


Keith wrote:Alright. I'm already excited about Decembeer and want us to "plan" our next big beer exchange, but in a different method, something a bit easier for everyone, and more accessible, possibly do this quarterly?

Here's what I'm thinking for this idea. Welcome to suggestions.

We brew, set a exchange date and show up with a bunch of Kegs and Growlers. Exchange our beer, leave with Growlers and our empty keg. I know we have a few beer guns in the club, could fill these properly and so they will last a few months and give us more variety. Narrow it to a style(s)? I think it would be great to do a "hoppy" beer for the first.

:cheers2:

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by jtmwhyte » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:28 am

I'd be up for doing beer swaps on a regular basis. As Sandy said, I believe that quarterly is a great way to go. That way more people who were not involved this time could get into the game. I'd gladly bottle and prime a 5 gallon batch 4 times a year to be able to swap and get to know different styles /brewer's.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by chalmers » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:40 am

naes100 wrote:I think a quarterly exchange is a great idea!~ I'm in! Still depressed I didn't get in on the December one….

Bottle would be the way to go..
It is too bad, especially since we've had some have to drop out. The plan going forward might be to have an extra person in the wings, in case there's an unforseen problem.

???

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by Jimmy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:42 am

I'm in for another exchange btw..didn't really say that in my first post.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by Keith » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:52 am

We could also do a smaller exchange and just exchange 6 packs so it's a bit easier to organize, or just have a day where everyone shows up and we exchange for what we want?

I think we are onto the start of something great. Nothing beats variety. :cheers2:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:25 pm

quarterly exchange is great idea, i think they could be any quantity of people from 5-30. above 30 gets dicey as you cant use 500/650ml bottles. just have them, maybe have a theme? (or not!) whoever wants in is in.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

HappyHopper
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:56 pm
Name: Jonathan - Sober Island Brewing Company
Location: Halifax

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by HappyHopper » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:12 pm

I was thinking of doing names in one hat styles in another, draw for who gets what... Might bring more excitment and get people out of their normal brewing habbitz
In bottle:Up the Kriek without a mash paddle, (insert Witty name)pumpkin lambic

On Tap:

Fermenting/Conditioning:

Future Projects:Chimney Sweepers Wife dark peated Scottish Heavy, Ginger bread brown, Home for the holidays spiced rum Brown Ale, Black Eye RyePA, Black Ryno Swartzbeir

Beer Laid To Rest (brewed it, drank it, loved it)Malt-n-lava AIPA, Single hop Citra pale ale, Belgian Blond, deforestation Ale Spruce Rye IPA,

User avatar
akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 2644
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:18 pm
Name: Andy
Location: Amherst, NS

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by akr71 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:48 pm

How about a 'Reverse Lent' Beer exchange. The reverse part is not giving up anything, so really it is just the same as the Advent beer exchange, just we're counting down to Easter...
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:00 pm

If you are bottling, you may as well bottle a full batch which works out nicely to a month. I think a month in mid summer (July or August) to go with the December one might be good. Summer beers and winter beers.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by amartin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:57 pm

I'd be up for another. Actually, because I brew on average twice a month, and bottle everything, I'm always available for an exchange.

If it was going to a regular thing, themes could be fun, like everybody brew something in category X, or brew something with a certain ingredient, or something like that. It could be a fun exercise, getting us to brew beers we might not otherwise, or maybe in different ways.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by Keith » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:07 pm

Exactly
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by gm- » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:14 pm

I would be interested in another one for sure, maybe a spring/summer one.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 2644
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:18 pm
Name: Andy
Location: Amherst, NS

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by akr71 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:59 am

I would certainly be up for once a season. Maybe mix it up every now and again - sometimes have a theme or a style or an ingredient, sometimes anything goes like the Advent Calendar.

Three years ago or so, BYO had an article about a 'breakfast cereal challenge.' I think that would be a lot of fun.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by amartin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Ok, this is sounding fun. Another way to keep it interesting could be multiple smaller ones. Like, instead of having another huge full month one, do ones of like a week or two. Somebody could just call an exchange, set the parameters (if any), and then organize it for a set date. It would spread the responsibility around too, so it isn't always falling on the same people.

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by gm- » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:35 pm

Any interest in sour exchange? Maybe once a year?

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by bluenose » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:47 pm

ok my $0.02 (rounded to $0.00) is that this was our first exchange and it was over and done within a hour, which I think is pretty awesome... sure there were a couple of hiccups, but I'm sure we won't let that happen again. If everyone's beer was there at the same time, then it might've been over sooner.

The method of arranging sets of 10-15 beers in each room, in sequence, actually worked out well for me. I just made a list of all the numbers and scratched off each number as I picked it.

If everyone was to agree to 500 ml bottles, I don't see why we couldn't bring it up to 40 people. I'm sure there will be more interest as we do this again. However every three months might be pushing it (I'd still do it), but twice a year is definitely doable.

I also liked how everybody just brought whatever they felt like bringing. There's some styles in this exchange that I probably won't ever make myself, but this way I'll still get to try it. I think we'd lose that if we all made the same style, or even if we all used on ingredient, or one yeast... I say let everyone play jazz, and let's see what comes of it.

:cheers:
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by GAM » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:28 am

I'll be checking on a venue with lots of room and a brewer as owner. If he is good with it I'll book the space when we need it. It's will need to be out side of there store hours though.

Sandy

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by amartin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:05 pm

I think the idea of themes or specific ingredients could push us as brewers to make beers we might not otherwise, kind of like Garrison picking a style for us every year. Schwarzbier was never on my radar before year three's contest. Trying to use a special ingredient could force us to think about how flavours work together, rather that just relying on existing styles to tell us what works.

You know what? Consider yourself challenged. I'm calling an exchange in the next day or two, probably somewhat limited in size (2, 3 weeks maybe) with some sort of theme.

User avatar
know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 866
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:59 pm
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite
Location: Sackvegas

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by know1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:47 am

My office is on quinpool with lots of parking and a good sized conference room/lobby. Would be no problem to use it on a weekend for an exchange.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by GAM » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Jeramy, that sounds like a good Idea too.

Sandy

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: The "Big" Beer Exchange.

Post by jtmwhyte » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:34 pm

I'd be up for another exchange with a specific style
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests