Page 1 of 1
Toasted flaked wheat vs regular flaked wheat
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:02 pm
by mattvincent24
Hey,
Was wondering if anyone has experience with Toasted flaked wheat? Would you notice a difference from the regular stuff in a Witbeir if using it as your only wheat source?
Re: Toasted flaked wheat vs regular flaked wheat
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:24 pm
by amartin
Is this a product you can buy, or are you going to toast it yourself?
Re: Toasted flaked wheat vs regular flaked wheat
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:32 pm
by mattvincent24
Its the only flaked wheat availible on our latest group buy. Im thinking about buying a full bag but i don't want it to change the flavor of my recipes too much. I really only use flaked wheat in wheat beers, like 30-40% of the grist, so im thinking it will affect the flavor of those recipes.
Re: Toasted flaked wheat vs regular flaked wheat
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:46 pm
by amartin
I've never used toasted wheat flakes, but I've toasted oat flakes myself. With oats, it boosts the flavour, so I'd have to assume it does the same with wheat. If you used it for all of your flaked wheat in a witbier it might give it too much of a wheaty flavour. If it was me, I might add it in at 10 - 20%, and see how that turns out.
Re: Toasted flaked wheat vs regular flaked wheat
Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:22 am
by McGruff
I used 8% of toasted wheat flakes in a lager with pils malt and didn't taste any toasted flavour at all.