Hey,
Was wondering if anyone has experience with Toasted flaked wheat? Would you notice a difference from the regular stuff in a Witbeir if using it as your only wheat source?
Toasted flaked wheat vs regular flaked wheat
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Toasted flaked wheat vs regular flaked wheat
Is this a product you can buy, or are you going to toast it yourself?
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Re: Toasted flaked wheat vs regular flaked wheat
Its the only flaked wheat availible on our latest group buy. Im thinking about buying a full bag but i don't want it to change the flavor of my recipes too much. I really only use flaked wheat in wheat beers, like 30-40% of the grist, so im thinking it will affect the flavor of those recipes.
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Toasted flaked wheat vs regular flaked wheat
I've never used toasted wheat flakes, but I've toasted oat flakes myself. With oats, it boosts the flavour, so I'd have to assume it does the same with wheat. If you used it for all of your flaked wheat in a witbier it might give it too much of a wheaty flavour. If it was me, I might add it in at 10 - 20%, and see how that turns out.
- McGruff
- Registered User

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
- Name: Chris Storey
- Location: Cavan, Ontario
Re: Toasted flaked wheat vs regular flaked wheat
I used 8% of toasted wheat flakes in a lager with pils malt and didn't taste any toasted flavour at all.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests