I have several 20L Sanke kegs as well as numerous Corny kegs (my primary method of dispensing my beer on tap).
I want to use the Sanke kegs so I taught myself to take out the spear and replace it (a little tricky at first but with a few tricks its not too bad). Therefore I will clean the Sanke with PBW and then purge with CO2 (3 - 5 PSI) until I need the keg (put in fridge 24 hrs before filling - cold keg reduces foam).
After reading a lot of different techniques, I plan on filling my kegs with spear coupler open, then close by reinstalling spear and spiral ring. Then on to force carbonation:
- direct connection with a Sanke key coupler with CO2 to the GAS IN post (beer out post will be capped) with 30 PSI for 3 days inside fridge at 4-5C. No rock and/or roll - just stand up - trying to keep it simple...
Some posts recommend inserting CO2 gas through the BEER OUT post - which would bubble up through the beer and bleed some of the gas with the pin on coupler...
Anybody have experience with these methods and have some feedback?
Force carbonating Sanke kegs - feedback required
-
mmbrew
- Registered User

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:34 am
- Name: Marc Melanson
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Force carbonating Sanke kegs - feedback required
mmbrew wrote:I want to use the Sanke kegs so I taught myself to take out the spear and replace it (a little tricky at first but with a few tricks its not too bad). Therefore I will clean the Sanke with PBW and then purge with CO2 (3 - 5 PSI) until I need the keg (put in fridge 24 hrs before filling - cold keg reduces foam).
I'm no help when it comes to the technicalities of using a sanke, but make sure you rinse the PBW and santize after that (you may already know this, just throwing it out there in case you believe you're cleaning and sanitizing with PBW). PBW is simply a cleaner - it would be like leaving the dish soap in a bowl and pouring your soup on top of it
-
mmbrew
- Registered User

- Posts: 22
- Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:34 am
- Name: Marc Melanson
Re: Force carbonating Sanke kegs - feedback required
Yah, I will have to probably do a thorough cleaning to get the old beer gunk out... probably a couple of soaking and rinsing's before putting into my rotation. Before using again, I usually sanitize first with water/bleach with hot water rinse then Iodophor solution mix second before use with good results... Have not use Starsan yet...
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Force carbonating Sanke kegs - feedback required
Don't use bleach will put your stainless steel
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

-
RossBee
- Verified User

- Posts: 551
- Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
- Name: Steffen Rosswog
- Location: Baie Verte, NB
Re: Force carbonating Sanke kegs - feedback required
I'm running about 8 of these. This is what I do:
Take out stem, soak, clean, inspect with small mirror, the top does build up with foam crap. Usually soak for 3-4 days with Oxy. Put acid in to sterilize after that. I replace the stem and the nasty little spring ring, purge with CO2, and pump it into the keg through the stem, obviously with the valve depressed, until the foam pops out the top. Remember to take the funky little ball out of the valve, otherwise nothing happens. Pump speed at the lowest possible to reduce foaming.
Once the keg is filled, purge with CO2 as with Corny kegs, re-attach CO2 and shake the shit out of it while listening to "Stairway to Heaven". Found that if the beer is at 4 C, it doesn't really matter how cold the keg is, thermal mass kicks in. I condition at 30 psi for 3 days at 4C, take out of keezer, and enjoy there after.
Not sure if this the proper way, but it works for me. By the way, works for wine and water as well.

Take out stem, soak, clean, inspect with small mirror, the top does build up with foam crap. Usually soak for 3-4 days with Oxy. Put acid in to sterilize after that. I replace the stem and the nasty little spring ring, purge with CO2, and pump it into the keg through the stem, obviously with the valve depressed, until the foam pops out the top. Remember to take the funky little ball out of the valve, otherwise nothing happens. Pump speed at the lowest possible to reduce foaming.
Once the keg is filled, purge with CO2 as with Corny kegs, re-attach CO2 and shake the shit out of it while listening to "Stairway to Heaven". Found that if the beer is at 4 C, it doesn't really matter how cold the keg is, thermal mass kicks in. I condition at 30 psi for 3 days at 4C, take out of keezer, and enjoy there after.
Not sure if this the proper way, but it works for me. By the way, works for wine and water as well.
Why brew beer I can buy?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests