Page 1 of 2

30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:19 pm
by Keith
As most of you know I'm looking to get a large brew setup. With the mash tun coming soon, I'm also going to need to look at pots, pumps, fermenters etc.

I'm thinking of a 30 gallon open head drum. Does anyone know if I can food grade similar to these locally?
http://www.thecarycompany.com/container ... l#30delcon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:24 pm
by jason.loxton
I think you'd be a lot better off going with one of these. They've received very good reviews, and are purpose made for brewing. http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-pl ... 7-gal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:36 pm
by Keith
yea that would be ideal. I didn't know they made them that large. :cheers2:

Looks like I'll be saving up for a couple :)

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:44 pm
by jason.loxton
They're a pretty new product, I think. I monitor Morebeer, etc., pretty closely, and first saw them a few months ago.

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:47 pm
by Keith
Yea I seen the before, but thought they stopped around 10 gals.

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:52 pm
by Jimmy
Keith, with the bbl homebrew setup :lol:

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:03 pm
by Keith
Jimmy wrote:Keith, with the bbl homebrew setup :lol:
Almost a 1bbl lol. 30 Gallon fermenter would only be a 25 Gal batch. Or are you insinuating I just get er done. :rockin:

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:32 am
by AllanMar
Have you talked to Dave yet? Aside from the store, I was pretty sure he was gearing up a 30gal system with one of those plastic conicals.

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:29 am
by Jamie D
jason.loxton wrote:I think you'd be a lot better off going with one of these. They've received very good reviews, and are purpose made for brewing. http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-pl ... 7-gal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have a couple of these and they are large enough to ferment 120 litres plus head space.
2014-10-07 07.24.49.jpg

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:55 am
by jacinthebox
someone's stepping up their brew game...damn :cheers2:

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:16 am
by Keith
yea the boys want beer on tap too. So I'm going to price this out and say you want beer here is the gear I need.

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:23 am
by GAM
Ask at the breweries. If any use LME. It comes in barrels with a 2" and a 4" ports.

NG may, or did have them. Johnanthan may know.

Sandy

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:28 am
by Keith
yea I need something I can reach in to ensure it is clean and sanitary. I had access to some of the solid 55 gallon plastic barrels but I'd have no way to clean them.

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:16 am
by GAM
PBW and bleach worked for me. The weight and storage space was the issue for me.

Sandy

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:40 pm
by RossBee
http://www.uline.ca/BL_8154/Plastic-Dru ... ords=drums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:cheers2:

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:01 pm
by GillettBreweryCnslt
If anyone wants to do the Uline thing let me know, I have an account and need some boxes and stuff.

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:31 pm
by mikeorr
This'll be Keith's basement before long...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:34 pm
by Keith
mikeorr wrote:This'll be Keith's basement before long...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stainless are way too expensive to start out. Replace those with food grade plastic lol. Plus I need some more space. Probably best to move the 3 kids into one room.
Need all the space I can get.

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:49 pm
by jacinthebox
mikeorr wrote:This'll be Keith's basement before long...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it would make one hell of a bk and fermenter. ..yeah buddy

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:45 pm
by Keith
Actually that could work if you got a stainless drum, added a few fittings and added a few electic elements lol.

After the boil, cool it, pitch your yeast and snap on the lid.

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:08 pm
by RubberToe
Awesome temp control they got there. /sarcasm

Don't forget about the details.

Sent from the brew timer.

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:13 pm
by Jimmy
RubberToe wrote:Awesome temp control they got there. /sarcasm

Don't forget about the details.

Sent from the brew timer.
Good point.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:16 pm
by Keith
It's possible the room was temp controlled.

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:18 am
by mikeorr
Keith wrote:It's possible the room was temp controlled.
From my pic? Nope, it was wide open (well, separated by a curtain) from the tasting room. That being said, they DID have walk-in fridge areas with other beers so perhaps they were fine with fermenting those at (warm, Denver) room temp...

Re: 30 Gal Fermenter?

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:26 pm
by RossBee
U-line has open top (snap ring closure) stainless drums as well, run you about $800 each

:cheers: