Page 1 of 1

Pin or Ball lock?

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:02 pm
by mthibodeau
So I picked up 2 ball lock kegs a few weeks back, and bought a pin lock off kijiji yesterday (guy said in the emails that it was ball, but for $25 it was still too good to pass up).

So right now I don't have a full set up, just the three kegs, and a co2 tank so now is the time to decide, do I go with ball lock or pin lock and why?

Whichever way I do go I'll be looking to trade the other style

Re: Pin or Ball lock?

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:00 pm
by jacinthebox
ball lock fit better in my fridges...tall and skinny.

Re: Pin or Ball lock?

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:29 pm
by chalmers
I think the CO2 regulator you just bought has the pin lock quick disconnect on it, which is another consideration.

So trade two balls for pins, or trade one pin and one pin QD for one ball and ball QD.

Do you know where the kegs will end up? As Justin said, the shape/size of the kegs are different, so that will usually be the determining factor.

Either way, you should be able to to make either trade without too much headache, people are moving from one to another every once in a while around here.

Re: Pin or Ball lock?

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:39 pm
by mthibodeau
Not sure where they will end up yet, probably a mini fridge based kegerator, if I'm really lucky I'll yet the one in Lawrencetown, so the ball locks sound like the way to go.

Also my brother in law has ball lock so that could be good as well, that way we can loan each other gear if need be. So probably going with ball lock, I'll post I'm the classifieds,

Thanks for the advice

Re: Pin or Ball lock?

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:35 pm
by jtmwhyte
I originally went with ball locks and switched to pin locks later. In my original keg fridge the ball locks would be right up against the freezer compartment. I had to connect them outside of the fridge and then slide them in. The more Stout on locks have me room to maneuver above the keg in the fridge. On a side note pin locks seem to be easier to come by and usually cheaper than ball locks.