Page 1 of 1

Buffing Up Old Kegs

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:13 pm
by GuingesRock
What would you buff up the outside of old Cornys with to make them look like new? I tried using this thing. Even though it is nylon it was scratching the surface, removed the old labels nicely though. Now I'm using BKF and a nylon scouring pad. They are looking a bit better but not as good as I wanted. When I used to do metal work there was some kind of polishing wheel that you put paste on, Do they still have that?

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:16 pm
by LeafMan66_67
I polished my keggle to a mirror finish with fine grit sandpaper, rough polishing wheel, and then buffed with 2 or 3 different polishing compounds, all from Princess Auto.

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:21 pm
by GuingesRock
Polishing compounds ...that's it! thanks. did you use them with a rag or some kind of cloth wheel?

This is as far as I got with the BKF.

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:38 pm
by Timothy Doane
I use Bar Keepers Friend powder mixed with water and a blue scratch free 3M stainless scrubbie and wipe off with a rag. It works fast and looks great. I also clean then spar varnish the rubber so it won't stain the carpet when wet.

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:57 pm
by LeafMan66_67
Timothy Doane wrote: I also clean then spar varnish the rubber so it won't stain the carpet when wet.
Tim - can you explain spar varnish (as I clean the black from my hands) :lol:

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:09 pm
by spears104
GuingesRock wrote:Polishing compounds ...that's it! thanks. did you use them with a rag or some kind of cloth wheel?

This is as far as I got with the BKF.
You can get different buffers and the SS polishing compound at princess auto that will fit in your drill. I'd give them a rub with scotchbrite pad first to get the ugly stuff off.

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:00 am
by Timothy Doane
It was my fathers suggestion, he told me it used for sailboats mostly. The carpets at my kegerator are grey, and when I clean the kegs it seems like when water hits the black - it stains everything.
I use Minwax indoor/outdood Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear gloss. First with cleaning wipes (and gloves) I clean the black as well as possible let it dry then paint on the spar varnish - a little will really go a long way. it tends to run a bit so when I'm done every 10 min or so for a hour I look for drips and paint them back in. It takes 2-3 days to dry, then I do the other side.
When finshed it gies a glossy/shinny appearence that is a hard shell - it will never stain again - this is a permanent solution.
I wish I knew how to post a pic they do look great!

Hope this helps!

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:54 pm
by LeafMan66_67
Thanks! I may give it a shot.