Page 1 of 1
Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:24 am
by GuingesRock
Has anyone noticed the latest batch of Vermont Yeast from Yeast Bay has no peach esters or is it just me?
I brewed with it yesterday and couldn't detect any in the starter wort. The ferment has taken off overnight like wildfire but the room doesn't smell at all of peach/apricot.
Last time I had this yeast my experience was quite the opposite.
Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:03 am
by GAM
I assume you are keeping your temp low. Was this the first use of the yeast?
Sandy
Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:23 am
by GuingesRock
Identical procedures to using the same yeast before from YeastBay. Did about 5 brews with it before same way. Same temp control. First concern was the starter wort which was very peachy before and nothing this time. Hopefully it will all turn out and I'll get the esters in the beer.
Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:33 am
by GAM
Odd. As you well know now you just wait.
If you can, keep some yeast and do another starter/small batch. It shoudn't make a difference but it's worth a try.
Sandy
Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:27 am
by GuingesRock
Has anyone tried their latest batch of Conan (Vermont Ale) from Yeast Bay, yet, and have you noticed any difference from the pervious batch?
I've made some nice beer with it, but not noticing the peach/apricot this time around.
I received this email from Nick
Hi Mark,
I'll log this observation and see if I hear from any others. There is really no chance that the yeast has changed, as it is maintained at White Labs and they take great pains to ensure the yeast has not mutated.n I'll definitely let you know if I hear it from someone else. Was the beer the exact same that you brewed too?
Cheers!
Nick
Nicholas Impellitteri
Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:59 am
by Keith
I haven't had a chance to brew lately. I'm hoping to knock out an IPA soon. Will let you know
Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:44 pm
by AllanMar
I haven't noticed much change lately (2 batches, same vial). I found on a previous batch ferm temp made a fair bit of difference (as one would expect) is all.
Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:28 pm
by GuingesRock
AllanMar wrote:I haven't noticed much change lately (2 batches, same vial). I found on a previous batch ferm temp made a fair bit of difference (as one would expect) is all.
Did you get strong peach/apricot aromas? I want that back and don't know how I did it before.
Thanks

Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:56 pm
by evanisnor
I watched a video of a talk John Kimmich a while back and he mentioned taking Conan through many generations and noticing that the esters seem to come and go.
Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdfySDN2mF0
Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:21 am
by GuingesRock
evanisnor wrote:I watched a video of a talk John Kimmich a while back and he mentioned taking Conan through many generations and noticing that the esters seem to come and go.
Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdfySDN2mF0
Well remembered. Thanks. I just watched that again. I find the video riveting, I watched it a few times before. What he says is that after generation 10, the esters become unpredictable. Maybe one batch they will be there, the next batch they won't, then they'll come back again. He says for that reason he won't go over generation 10. He doesn't seem that enthralled with generation 1 either, although he says it is OK.
I wonder if the latest Conan yeast from yeast bay is in the upper (more than 10) generation territory ????
I haven't heard anyone say they got good esters with the latest batch of Conan yet. That would be the current OBK stock, the same that Keith got for the group buy. Maybe Allan did above, It's not clear from his post.
Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:57 pm
by CartoonCod
Why not add peach to your beers? I had a peach beer at a recent brewnoser meeting and it was wonderful.
Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:07 pm
by LeafMan66_67
CartoonCod wrote:Why not add peach to your beers? I had a peach beer at a recent brewnoser meeting and it was wonderful.
Yep - know1 made a great peach ale.
Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:43 pm
by GuingesRock
CartoonCod wrote:Why not add peach to your beers? I had a peach beer at a recent brewnoser meeting and it was wonderful.
Yes, that sounds good, but I want to use Conan again as my house yeast.
I've been emailing back and forth with Nick at Yeast Bay. He's helping me get this sorted. On consideration, there are some variables I hadn't thought of, not least of which the first time I got it was in April and it would have spent postal truck time around zero degrees. This latest time the road trip was in August

Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:55 am
by Keith
I'm getting a huge peach aroma coming out of the primary. Even getting it from the funk town.

Re: Conan not so peachy this time?
Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:49 am
by jacinthebox
I fermented us05 at 60f and got tons of peach smell in the bucket...haven't noticed any taste tho